𝟐𝟗. a sign of breaking

°∴,*⋅✲✦ ( ♕ ) ✦✲⋅*,∴°

━━━━ »•» act two. age of shadow

 age of shadow

29. a sign of breaking «•« ━━━━

* ✧                               

* ✧                               .°

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ third age ━━ year 3019

𓇻 wilderland; anduin {great river}

*.                         ✦                           °.

THEY SAW NO SIGN OF THE ENEMY FOR EIGHT DAYS. The dull hours spent on the water went by without event. They had been mostly traveling during the night and the early morning hours, avoiding daylight in order to prevent being seen by unfriendly eyes, even though there wasn't a living thing in sight, save for the occasional bird. But even their whistles seemed filled with despair and sorrow for the land filled with darkness and decay that surrounded them.

As their journey progressed the landscape had started to change. On the eastern bank, to her left, Elgarain could see long, formless slopes. They stretched up and away towards the sky like withered guards, tired of their post. It was as if they had been scorched, not even a single blade of grass could be seen growing upon the blackened rocks. She remembered from the maps she'd studied before their departure from Imladris that those were the shores of the Brown Lands. Empty wastelands between the south of Mirkwood and the hills of the Emyn Muil; the northern border of Mordor.

To her right there was more greenery but it brought her no more comfort than the eastern shores. The trees seemed sinister; their shadows filled with secrets while the wind made their leaves rustle with whispered secrets. The forest held none of the safety that Lothlórien had and whenever she set her sight upon the trees, she simply couldn't shake the feeling she was being watched. She blamed it on lack of sleep and food but her heart never truly believed those reasons and so she remained restless.