𝟑𝟐. broken hopes

°∴,*⋅✲✦ ( ♕ ) ✦✲⋅*,∴°

━━━━ »•» act three. age of anguish

 age of anguish

32. broken hopes  «•« ━━━━

* ✧                                 

* ✧                                 .°

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ third age ━━ year 3019

𓇻 rohan; northern border

*.                           ✦                            °.

HOUR AFTER HOUR THEY SPEND RUNNING ACROSS THE GRASSLANDS. Had she visited Rohan under different circumstances, she might have loved the wide-open plains. In some way the rolling hills reminded her of the ocean surrounding her home. But now the landscape looked endless without hope in sight. Dangerous and lonely.

Elgarain was bruised and exhausted and it scared her. Never before had her Elven body felt this weak and it hadn't taken her long to find out why. The Orcs had forced her to drink some sort of medicine in order to heal her. It kept her broken arm from hurting and kept her legs strong enough to run along with the pace of the Uruk-Hai. But it weakened her heart, her hope and left her feeling small and weak. Their medicine wasn't made for Elves and she feared what the potion might do to her if she kept having to drink it.

She hadn't caught sight of the Hobbits again since they resumed their journey. But she'd often heard Pippin's fast and frightened breathing and Merry's hushed whispers as he told himself to stay strong. It wasn't much, but at least she knew they were alive and that had to be enough for now. She didn't dare look over her shoulder to try and catch a glimpse of them.

Instead, in order to distract herself, Elgarain kept busy pondering the mystery of her ring.

It was far too simple for Saruman to just want the ring for its power. The White Wizard was powerful and so was the Dark Lord he served. She couldn't imagine they would need Vilya for its healing capabilities either. And so, the one conclusion she kept coming back to was that they needed Vilya for one very specific thing. She had tried to think about what else Vilya was capable of beyond assisting with healing. But she hadn't had enough time to study the ring to think of an answer.