𝟑𝟓. death favors no man

°∴,*⋅✲✦ ( ♕ ) ✦✲⋅*,∴°

━━━━ »•» act three. age of anguish

 age of anguish

35. death favors no man «•« ━━━━

* ✧                                 

* ✧                                  .°

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ third age ━━ year 3019

𓇻 rohan; edoras

*.                          ✦                           °.

THE SILENCE ANSWERED THE KING BEFORE ANYONE ELSE COULD. Thick and heavy it weighed on the air, pressing down on the hearts of everyone gathered on the steps of Meduseld. The wind picked up and whistled through the buildings, as if even nature itself cried with grief for the fate of the king's son. At last, it was Gandalf who stepped forward to give Théoden the answer he craved. The wizard wordlessly lowered his head and that was enough.

A cry of anguish left Théoden's lips and Elgarain felt her heart shatter. It seemed to take all of his strength not to collapse on his knees right then and there. But she knew all too well the pressure of appearing strong before the people. And so, she couldn't blame the King for retreating back inside the hall as quickly as he possibly could, to break down in the privacy of his own quarters.

Her gaze was drawn away from the hall to a woman approaching them. It was the blonde who had cradled Théoden's head after Gandalf healed him. Her steps were steadfast despite the weariness she so clearly wore on her face. Her hair seemed to turn into liquid gold beneath the rays of the sun and her eyes carried a familiar heavy weight. "I am Éowyn, daughter of Éomund and niece of king Théoden," she spoke with a formal smile, "and I welcome you to Edoras."

Gyda was the first to move forward. "Gyda, daughter of Gyldorn, head of the Queen's Guard," she moved aside and nodded her head at Elgarain. "This is High Queen Elgarain of the Ñoldor."