CHAPTER 1: THE IDIOT

I reread the message that I received last night over and over.  Maybe I'm an idiot. Okay well, I'm definitely an idiot on some standards, but I'm going to be a paid idiot.

Hey I heard you were a programmer. Could I commission you to code something for me?

There was definitely something in school about not accepting job offers from strangers on the internet, but he's not exactly a stranger though. I learned his name is Nick. And Nick seems like a genuine guy who just needs a little help with coding a game.

I mean, am I really an idiot if I know the guy's name?

I glance at the time once more. After learning we were in the same timezone, he said he would call at seven about the details.

There, I also know his timezone. Timezone and name are pretty standard for becoming friends and paying someone. Duh, everyone knows that.

The only thing I don't know if why he wants it or what he does. But I know his timezone, when he's calling me and his name.

Overall, Nick is a pretty standard guy if I do say so myself.

The phonecall ringing causes me jump. It's 7:03.

Now I know his name, timezone and that he's not exactly punctual. Practically childhood bestfriends.

"Hello?" I say as I answer the phone.

"y/n?" A voice says through Discord. "This is Nick."

I smile a little at the way he clarified who he was. His name on Discord just says 'Nick' with no bio or anything. Maybe he just recently made his account.

"That's me." I nod once even though he can't see me. "You wanted me to code a game?"

"Yes, I did." He clears his throat. "It's Minecraft. Do you know it?"

I let out a short laugh. "Yeah, it's only like a little popular for a decade-ish."

"Okay, so you are?" he clarifies.

"Yes," I say slowly. Now I know his name, timezone, the fact that he's not exactly punctual and not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to sarcasm.

"Perfect. I want this thing coded for Minecraft where...." He begins to explain this grand idea for Minecraft in order to beat the world. When he's done explaining it, he asks, "Do you think you can code it?"

"Yeah, sure." I mess with the water bottle sitting on my desk. "What's the timeline?"

"In a couple weeks-ish. I'm not picky." I can hear him clicking. "Here, send me your venmo, and I'll pay the deposit."

I send it to him on Discord, and I hear him tapping on his computer.

"There," he says, "I'll send you the rest once it's done."

I hum a response as I log into my account really quickly. "Are you changing texture pacts or anything?" I ask, thinking of how much designing I'll have and how much is basic coding.

"No texture pacts for now." He thinks for a moment. "But can you do them if I change my mind?"

"Yeah, of course..." My voice fades as I see the most recent deposit from my venmo. I feel like money signs are flashing in my eyes for a moment. I may be an idiot for talking to a stranger, but now I'm a well-paid idiot.

"Can I ask why you need an elaborate obstacle coded in, so that beating a Minecraft world is super difficult?" More importantly, why is he willing to pay this much to have it coded?

He pauses before answering in absolute confidence. "I have to prove a point."

And now I know Nick's name, timezone, the fact that he's not exactly punctual, the he's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to sarcasm and that he must be very determined to prove this point.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

hey guys! long time no see haha

welcome to my newest story!

first of all, i went back to x readers.. i have a couple oc's but i missed the good ol' days. plus, i hated every name i gave this character smh

also, this story is going to be a whirlwind but stick with me.. it has lots of plot twists and is most definitely more of a slow burn. but i have a feeling it's going to be a good one

thank you so much for reading! i hope you enjoy

have an amazing day :)

-kupkake