CHAPTER 46: TWO OFFERS

My eyes glaze over the contents of the refrigerator. I'm not hungry, maybe bored, but I've been staring into the fridge like it'll give me exactly what I need.

"Would you quit it?" George grumbles to Nick.

"I'm literally chewing gum," Nick defends, "What do you want me to do?"

I ignore them, deciding to grab a water bottle and shut the door.

"y/n," Nick says once I turn around.

I choose to ignore him, opening the bottle instead. I've been in this situation before. They'll ask me to pick aside and then I'll always choose wrong. Not this time, nope.

"y/n," George follows.

"Answer us, y/n."

"y/n. y/n. y/n."

"Stop saying my name," I say calmly.

"Oh, so you can hear us," Nick inquires.

"You're just choosing not to answer," George adds on.

I roll my eyes. Of course, now is when they finally team up.

"What can I do for you?" I ask, taking a long sip of water.

"Are you busy tomorrow night?" Nick asks, "We want to watch a movie."

I swallow my sip of water. "Sorry, I have plans tomorrow night."

George laughs. He has the audacity to laugh. Nick's brows furrow. "What do you mean 'you have plans'?" he asks using air quotes.

"Meaning I won't be able to watch the movie?" I say, phrasing it as a question. Why is this so surprising?

"Like coding?"

I huff. "No, like a date, Nick."

George laughs even harder, and Nick has a smile now. "No you don't."

My jaw drops. "Yes, I do. It's with an old friend that I ran into at the grocery store."

The front door opens. Nick ignores it and continues to talk. "When have you ever been interested in like anyone?"

I'm about to defend myself before realizing that I never told him I've had feelings for someone for forever. My mouth opens to speak when the person walks into the kitchen.

Clay's looking down at his feet when he walks by. I think he wants to just walk by and go to his room, but Nick has other plans.

"Dream, you have to hear this." Nick's laughing with George now.

He looks up from his feet, and I can tell something's wrong.

"y/n-" Nick gasps for air "-y/n has.."

"A date!" George bursts out before keeling over with laughter.

Clay smiles now too, turning to me. "Oh really?"

My stomach drops, but I don't let that show. "Yes, really. Why is this so surprising to everyone?"

"You've never been on a date in the year we've known you," Clay explains for the other boys. His voice is monotone, and it worries me what happened before he walked in.

"It's just a date," I defend.

George and Nick are finally settling down now. "Clay, can you do a movie night tomorrow night?"

"Um, no, I'm supposed to have a date as well," he says a little more quiet than before.

"What do you mean supposed?" George questions, "Trouble in paradise?"