CHAPTER TWENTY: DRINK!

Gemma laughs loudly in the other room with Eva. I bury my head deeper in to hands before covering my ears. I want so hard to shut them out of my brain and focus on this.

Someone offered me a coding job to update their website. Bad news is I procrastinated it too much, so now I'm on a time limit. Loud neighbors aren't helpful when there's a time crunch.

I can hear Gemma open her bedroom door and walk to the kitchen. The fridge opens and shuts. The thin walls of the apartment allow me to hear even more of their conversations than I could before.

I sigh, picking up my phone. Luckily, Clay answers on the third ring.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Hey, I was just wondering if you were doing anything?" I ask as innocently as possible.

"Oh, I'm working on some merch stuff and have some meetings with some people," he says, "Really boring stuff."

I smile. "Well I have to code some boring stuff," I begin, "Would you maybe want to hang out to get our work done?"

Now I can hear the smile in his voice. "That sounds great. Can you come over here?"

Wow I didn't even have to ask. "Yeah, sure."

I get to his house about twenty minutes later. I found a shorter route to their house, so I can use less gas going there and back. That was one of the best days of my life, which is kind of a sad adult thing to be excited about.

Clay's the one who opens the door when I knock. "Hey."

I follow him back towards the darker hallway. I pause before I step forward.

He turns around. "What are you doing?"

"I've never been down here," I say, "I've always gone to Nick's room."

Clay rolls his eyes. "Well he's asleep right now, so I have no idea what to tell you."

I look past his shoulder at the four doors. There are three on the right side and one on the left. None that I've been in.

"Come on," Clay says, "You're being dramatic."

I take one dramatic step into the hallway, just to go with his words. I stop at the first door on my left. "What's this?"

He slumps his shoulders, already regretting inviting me over. He opens the door slowly, and I laugh.

"Why is this room completely empty?" I ask.

"What? It's not empty." Clay points to a singular swivel chair in the middle of the room. It's flipped onto its side.

"You're calling that furnished?" I raise my brow.

"I'm not saying it's empty."

I shake my head with a small smile before walking to the next door. He sighs and opens it ajar. "Bathroom."

I nod once. "Cool."

He moves with me to the third door on the right. "This is my room."

I motion my head towards the final door which is on the left. "This where you hide all the goods?" I joke.

"What do you mean by goods?" he laughs.

I think for a moment. "Your YouTube plaques, money, all the freaking merch you guys seemed to be selling."

He chuckles. "You know, you're kind of close."

He opens the door, and my jaw drops. It's the first room I actually step into. All around me is green Dream related things, most I assume are fan-made.