CHAPTER NINETEEN: MILKSHAKES

Both Eva and Gemma demanded milkshakes on the way home, but I refused to let Nick stop for them. I wanted more than anything to get them out of the car. Nick rolled his eyes but followed my requests.

Nick and I haul the girls up to Gemma's room with more difficulty than there should've been. We collective sigh when they're finally sitting on the bed.

"Can we get our milkshakes now?" Gemma pouts.

I roll my eyes and look to Nick, expecting a similar look. He's shaking his head as he looks at me.

"What?" I ask. "They'll fall asleep soon."

"You're cruel." Nick points an accusing finger at me. "I'm getting these girls the milkshakes they deserve."

I laugh and follow Nick out to the livingroom. He grabs his keys and heads to the door, calling over his shoulder, "And I'm not getting you shit, y/n."

I still can't tell if he's being serious as I laugh. He opens the door aggressively, startling Clay whose hand is raised to knock.

Nick looks at him in all seriousness. "I'm getting us milkshakes." And with that, he walks down the hall of my apartment building.

Clay stands still for a moment. I try to contain my laughter before realizing he's waiting for me to invite him in.

"Don't worry, they're in Gemma's room." I wave him inside.

He hesitates over the doorway and looks around the apartment. It's a pretty plain and simple apartment, so there's not much to look at.

"How are they?" he asks.

"Good," I say nonchalantly, scanning the room for a phone charger. I realize it's in my room and go to get it.

I grab the cord from the wall and stand, only to realize Clay had followed me in here.

"Hi." I laugh in surprise.

"Hey." He chuckles a bit before glancing at my computer set up. "Oh my god, y/n, you didn't tell us your set up was ancient."

My jaw drops. "It is not."

He taps one of the keys to hear a loud clack. He turns to me as if that alone will prove his point.

I roll my eyes. "It works perfectly fine for me."

"Not if you're going to continue coding videos for us," he says before scanning the few fake plants around my desk.

I look up at him. "What?"

He shrugs. "I mean, we could use someone like you for the elevator videos and other things. Plus, Nick wants a reason to have you over more." He glances over his shoulder with a smirk.

I return the grin. "Oh really? Just Nick?"

He nods once. "Just Nick. Maybe someone else, but that's it."

Now my smile turns genuine. "Is it George?"

Clay chuckles. "Absolutely. All the way from the UK, he wants you to come over to our house."

I snap my fingers once. "I knew it."

Clay picks up the framed picture of me sitting on the red pickup truck. "Is that you?"

I nod. "Yeah, I was in high school."

He points to the curly-haired girl next to me. "Who's that?"

I smile sadly now. "That's Maggie. She was my best friend."

"Was?" Clay raises his brows as he sets the framed photo down.

I nod and sit on the edge of my bed. "She.. She isn't really here right now."