CHAPTER 45: TRAIL MIX

"Remind me why you need that many potatoes?" I ask Nick on the phone. I'm walking slowly down the grocery store aisles.

"It's for a stream, y/n," Nick complains, "It's a streamer thing, okay?"

"What? That doesn't even make sense." I shift the phone to my other ear as I stare at the potatoes, not really wanting to get sixteen of them.

"If you won't get them, then I'll just get them myself." Nick huffs.

"And then you'll actually pay for them yourself?" I ask, "Sounds good to me."

"You're annoying."

"Mhm, I'll see you later," I say.

"Yeah, actually don't get the potatoes," Nick explains, "I'm going to ask Karl his opinion first."

"Okay sounds good." My eyes already begin to scan for the trail mix. "Bye."

"Bye," he says before hanging up.

I push my cart to the next aisle, hoping to see the trail mix with the little M&M's. A man stands about halfway down the aisle, reading the ingredients on a bag. Something about him seems oddly familiar, but I try to focus on the trail mix search.

My eyes land on the M&M trail mix. I search for one without raisins, knowing George has something against them. Without any luck, I place the mix with both M&M's and raisins into my cart.

"y/n?" a voice says.

I glance up to see the man from before looking at me. I freeze in my place like I've seen a ghost because, in a way, I have.

I shake the feeling and smile because it's an all-too familiar face. One that makes me feel more at home than any building structure ever could.

"Ben Thatcher," I say aloud.

"The one and only," the man, Ben, says with a smile.

"Is that-" I stop in my tracks, looking at his smile, at his eyes. The two things he and Maggie had in common. I try to wrap my head around him being in front of me. "-I can't believe you're here."

He chuckles. "I haven't seen you since when? High school?"

"I think so." I lie, letting out a breathy laugh.

I know exactly when I saw Ben Thatcher last. It was at Maggie's funeral. He left early with his friend because he couldn't handle how sad it was.

"You can come with," he said before grabbing the door's handle, "There's no drinking, just something other than this. It's depressing."

I shook my head. "I think I'm just going to stay here."

He gave me a half-smile, one oh-so familiar to hers, and he reaches out to squeeze my shoulder. "Hey, we all miss her, but she wouldn't want anyone missing out on this whole life thing on her account."

I swallow once. I think about that moment sometimes, at just how right Ben was. Ben wouldn't want anyone to lose an opportunity because of her. 

That was the last time I saw him. He went to college within the next couple weeks, and we never got to say an official goodbye nor did we see each other again.

Unti now. Now his eyes meet mine, and I feel energy surging up my arms.

"What have you been up to?" I ask, "Did you ever become that famous baseball player?"

He laughs. "Not quite, I'm actually working as a lawyer right now."

"Wow, a lawyer?" I try to make sure my jaw doesn't drop.

He nods. "Who would've guessed that one, huh?"

I smile, remembering all the arguments he got in with Maggie. He could argue and state his cases. He'd be a good lawyer.

"How about you?" he asks, "What is the y/n up to these days?"

"I'm a freelance programmer," I reply.

"Dang, look at you."

My cheeks burn, and I put a hand up to one of them, hoping it's not noticeably red.

"Well, I have to go-" Ben points in a random direction behind him for emphasis "-but I would love to get dinner with you sometime?"

My heart jumps at the thought, but my brain transitions to Clay.

I remember my thought last night that I needed to get over him, then I worry what he would think. His opinion shouldn't matter, I remind myself, Didn't he tell me a little bit ago that I should put myself out there?

He's happy in a relationship. Don't I deserve that same opportunity?

And with that question ringing in my ears, I reply to Ben. "I would love to."

We exchange numbers before heading off in our separate directions. I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face as I shop for the rest of the groceries.

Ben Thatcher. Of all people, Ben Thatcher. I think to myself as I grab some more syrup, Where have you been all this time, Ben Thatcher?

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

ahhhskfhks BEN THATCHER!!

have an amazing day :)