CHAPTER 61: THE THATCHER'S

DECEMBER 25

Nick came into my room last night to hang out, and we ended up until we both fell asleep. I tried to wake him up later for him to go to his own bed, but he just turned over to his other side, flinging an arm towards me in the process. I moved into the safe zone before I was really in danger.

Surprisingly, George was the one who woke everyone up for Christmas morning. It was strange seeing him be the first one awake in the house until I noticed the bags under his eyes.

"Did you even go to bed?" I asked him

He shook his head. "Nope, it was Christmas. I always do this on Christmas."

"Not sleep?" Nick mumbled into a pillow.

"Yeah, I have to be ready." George pushed Nick. "Wake up."

Nick lifted his head to peer at George. "Ready for what? Santa?"

"No. It's Christmas," George says like it's obvious.

Now there's wrapping paper littered across the floor and the smell of a pine-scented candle drifts across the room. George takes his nap now, done with his extra-cheeriness from this morning I guess. Nick sits with a plate of iced cookies on his lap, and Clay has already started cleaning.

"It's fine," Nick reassures him for the hundredth time, "We'll all help you later."

"It's going to be here tomorrow," I add.

Clay rolls his eyes. "y/n, you only say that because you won't have to clean it tomorrow."

I smile towards him. "Oh, that's right; I completely forgot," I lie.

Nick takes a bite of a cookie as he shakes his head. "That's not very it's Christmas of you."

We all laugh, knowing George used the phrase 'It's Christmas' at least three times every minute. He stirs in his sleep now, but we can all guess what his first words will be when he wakes up.

"Who knew George loved Christmas so much," Clay says.

I nod in agreement as my phone chimes. "It's almost out of character for him."

I check my phone to see Ben will be here to pick me up soon. I frown and stand from my seat on the couch.

Nick's brows furrow. "Already?"

"Yeah." I sigh. "It's an early dinner I guess."

Clay offers to gather my things from my room while I start my goodbyes.

I wrap my arms around Nick first. "I'll be facetiming you by tomorrow, I'm sure."

He chuckles. "You better."

I let go, not wanting to get too sappy this time. I turn to George sleeping on the couch, and I gently shake his shoulder.

"George," I say quietly, "I'm leaving."

He stirs, moving to the other side where he can see us. He squints up at me, and his voice is groggy. "What?"

"I have to go," I repeat, "I wanted to say goodbye."

He moves his body to a seated position lazily. "We'll see you soon."

"Oh really?" I smile. "You're coming to New York?"

"We should." He turns to Clay walking down the stairs with my bags. "We should go to New York."

Clay chuckles. "I mean, it is Christmas."

George stops for a second, having to think about what Clay said.

I shake my head softly."I'll miss you, George," I say, "but maybe I'll see you soon."