CHAPTER 50: THE KNOCK

NOVEMBER 26

The small fire this morning didn't really have an affect on the kitchen. George and Nick complained about the smell, so they ordered pancakes instead. Clay said he had a headache, so he went to his room. I wasn't sure if I believed it given what had happened only minutes prior, but I decided I wasn't going to push it too much.

I think of his words right before everything happened, or one of his words, I guess.

Natalie.

His whole dynamic and mannerisms changed at the thought of her. He closed up, and he couldn't even focus on the conversation. That could also come from the smoke coming from the stove, too, though.

I sigh, realizing I shouldn't dwell on it too much. He said he just needed to think, and then he'll talk to me. He promised.

But now I'm sitting in my bed, feeling frozen. I tried turning on a movie, coding some little project, and even cleaning my room. Every little noise I made had me jump; it's as if I'm a stranger in my home once again.

I can hear Clay's door open down the hall. The blood drains from my face, waiting for the knock. Everything inside of me just wants to hear his voice, to hear that we're going to be okay. Whether we're okay as friends or as more. I just want it to be okay.

I hear his footsteps walk past the door instead.

I sit cross-legged on my bed for longer than I'd ever admit, still waiting for the footsteps to retreat and a knock to come.

I feel transported back to when I was a stranger in this house; when Nick hid me in his room to code the very first minecraft video.

God, that feels like ages ago.

Isn't it strange how we go from strangers to friends? Then some people go from friends to strangers after that? The thought makes my stomach churn, and I try to forget I even thought it.

I can't even stand sitting here anymore, now. I get up from the bed, finding myself still trying to be quiet.

I open the door, turning right towards the front of the house instead of Clay's room. I turn to go up the stairs.

I knock and walk into Nick's room. I have yet to walk in on someone changing, but I fear that it could be any day now. Luckily, Nick is just laying on his bed.

He glances up from his phone and raises his brows, quietly asking if I need something.

It hurts that I feel like I can't really tell him what's going on. I want to tell him about the past eight months, why sand in my shoes makes me smile and how I've been feeling ever since yesterday.

"Got any skittles?" I ask instead.

He smiles and lifts a bag that was resting on the other side of him. "You okay?" he asks.

I take a deep breath. "Not really."

Nick nods his head towards the spot next to him. My feet fall forward, and I crawl into the blankets.

He places the skittles in my lap. "Want to talk about it?"

I shake my head as I reach into the bag of candy like a little kid. "Not really, I just needed sugar."

"Okay, well I'm watching tiktoks if you would like to join." He swipes his finger across the screen of his phone, and a new video pops up.

I grab a pillow to prop my head up; happy for a distraction. I let myself watch video after video. I laugh when I think somethings funny and cringe when something's not. It isn't until the sky is dark that I realize just how much time has passed.