CHAPTER FOUR: THE LESSONS

"One second," Nick says when I join his discord call. I notice he finally got a profile picture. It's a blurry picture of a pokemon character. I want to say Charmander, but I'm not sure from the quality. At least he got one now, though.

He shuffles around for a moment before coming back. "Okay let's do this. I have a notebook."

"For what?" I laugh as I take a sip of my coffee.

"Notes, duh." He scoffs. "I thought you were smart, y/n."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever."

I share my screen with him and explain the different pieces of code. I even run it in the game to show him the changes the different sections make.

He listens very intently, and I can hear him write certain phrases down. I don't know why he needs to prove a point through coding a Minecraft game, but his dedication makes me curious.

I make sure I'm done sharing my screen before I click on his name in the discord messages to see nothing written. The only thing I know is that his name is Nick.

"Hello? Earth to y/n." Nick's voice causes me to jump from my thoughts.

I quickly click back to the lines of code in case he wants to see them again. "Yeah?"

"Do you know when this will be done? Clyde's been asking about it for something."

"Probably in the next week or so." I scroll through the code. "I could probably get it done in the next couple days if you want."

"Could you?" he asks, "The guys are just getting impatient."

I nod once even though he can't see me. For some reason my mind focuses on the fact that Nick and I will probably never talk after this. Not that we really talked now except for a handful of times these past couple weeks.

He seems pretty cool. I look at my clock to realize we've been talking for a couple hours.

"Yeah, I can totally do that."

There's a loud thud on the other side of the call. Nick sighs before muting himself. He missed whatever that noise was by just a hair because I heard another man's voice in the background.

"Did you get the-"

I wonder if that was one of his coder friends. Either Clyde or Gary. It could be someone totally different, though.

It takes a few moments before Nick unmutes. He sounds irritated when he joins again. "Sorry about that."

"It's fine." I decide to not ask about whatever seems to upset him. "Are you good on your lessons?"

"I think so, yeah."

"Alright, I'll send you a message in the next couple days when it's done."

We say goodbye before hanging up, and I switch back to the code. I guess I'm going to have to eat, breath and live this code for the next couple days of my life to get this done for Nick in the next couple days.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

i promise the chapters are going to get longer i just have to build up to that moment haha

anyways see you soon! have an amazing day :)