CHAPTER 25: PINKY PROMISE

I sit in my room awkwardly. I don't know what to do. The yelling in the living room hasn't stopped for the past hour.

Something must've happened last night when Gemma and Eva went out. All I know is that they went to a coffee shop to be funny and then it went downhill from there.

"I just don't understand why you're so mad," Eva exclaims.

"Why wouldn't I?"

I take a deep breath, unsure if they even know I'm here. I have no doubt in my mind that this is leading to a break up. Gemma was sure of that this morning when I talked to her, although she refused to tell me what happened.

"She's your ex, Eva!" Gemma sounds like she might be crying. "Why are you talking to her?"

Nevermind, now I know why.

Nick must've sensed my discomfort because he calls right then.

"You are my savior," I say as I answer the phone.

He chuckles. "What happened?"

"They're fighting," I'm whispering now.

"Who?"

"Gemma and Eva," I respond.

"Eva?"

"Coffee shop girl," I explain, "She was the other drunk girl that one night."

"Ohh," he says in understanding, then "ohh" in realization.

"Yeah."

"Well come over here and escape your problems," Nick suggests.

I want to say yes immediately, but then I remember their newest addition to the house. "What about George?"

Nick scoffs. "What about him?"

"What if it's awkward or something?"

"Oh no, you're fine," Nick says confidently, "He's all settled in and got his sleep in. It won't be the same."

My shoulders relax. I didn't even realize how anxious I was with the thought of not being able to hang out with them.

"Come over, y/n," Nick says again, "Clay will want to see you after you ran out the other night."

I sigh. "I didn't realize that it affected him so much."

"Other than me, of course, you're his favorite person to hang out with," Nick explains, "He's going to want to introduce you to his number one boyfriend."

I roll my eyes. "Is that thing transferring into real life?" I ask.

"God, I hope not." Nick laughs. "But please come over and be a buffer for us just in case."

_ _ _

I stand in front of the guy's ugly front door for a solid five minutes. At first, it was to debate whether or not I should knock or just walk in. Usually I would just walk in, but now there's someone else living here that I don't know very well. What if he doesn't know the whole no-naked-downstairs thing?

Ew.

Now I'm just focused on the chipped gray paint job. It's rusted around the doorknob. I feel like I've gotten used to it, like the nose-blind fabreze commercials. Have I become door-blind?

God I hope not.

The door swings open and Nick's goofy grin appears. "Why are you just standing here?"

"How did you know I was standing here?"

"I checked your location, and it's been here for like ten minutes." Nick shrugs, opening the door wider for me.