CHAPTER 43: THE FEEDBACK

"Morning," Clay says as he walks into the kitchen this morning.

I flip a pancake on the pan. I glance over my shoulder to see him. His hair is going all different ways and his shirt is wrinkled. "Good morning," I say, "how was your night?"

"Fine." He shrugs, walking to the fridge. "We just played games for a while."

I nod. "At least you're still tied to your gamer-boy roots."

He rolls his eyes and grabs a water. "Want one?"

I shake my head. "I'm good, thank you though."

Clay settles on a stool. He leans forward on his elbows as he watches me pour fresh batter on the pan. I grab a plate and place two pancakes on it before sliding it across the table to him.

"Thank ya." He smiles. "Have I mentioned how great your pancakes are?"

"Mhm." I turn back to my pancakes.

"What are you up to later today?" he asks, "Since you've turned in your project for the big whatever company?"

I roll my eyes. "Wow, I am just so glad you pay attention to my life, Clay."

"Shut up, you know I do," he murmurs, "Are you going to answer my question?"

"What do you want?" I ask bluntly.

"Pfft, nothing." He waves it off. "...much."

I turn towards him, raising my brows.

"Well, there's been a mess up for some of Nick's code," he says slowly, "We need help."

"What about you knowing how to code?" I wave my spatula towards him.

"I didn't understand it," he explains.

"And George?"

"He's too lazy." Clay pouts, thinking that will make me do it.

I can hear someone's feet scuffling across the floor. George appears in the kitchens, scratching his head sleepily.

"Speaking of the devil," I say with a smile, "George, why won't you help your poor friend Nick with his code?"

George rubs his eyes. "What? It's too early for that."

"Shame on you." I shake my head.

George ignores me. "Are those pancakes?"

Clay chuckles, and George slowly slides into the chair next to him. I slide more pancakes in their direction and laugh when George swats Clay away from his food.

Once the pancakes are done, I set some aside for Nick and I. Clay and George are strategizing how long is the proper amount of time to wait before eating Nick's breakfast.

My phone ringing is what causes them to quiet. I glance at the person and gasp.

"It's Magnolia Kennedy," I say quickly, "Oh my god, she checked my code. What do I do?"

"Answer it," George says.

Clay holds his hand out. "Let me see."

I hand him the phone without thinking. "Wait don't-"

Before I can grab my phone back, he's pressed the green button to answer the phone and passes it back to me.

"Uh, h-" I clear my throat. "Hello?"

"Hi, y/n, this is Magnolia Kennedy," she says quickly, "I looked at your code."

"Great," I say, "What did you think?"