CHAPTER 30: NEW BEGINNINGS

It's a couple days after our drunken night, and I'm going over to the guy's house a little earlier than I usually would be. They gave me the plan for the second elevator video, and they wanted me to start coding yesterday. I didn't.

It's about eleven in the morning, so none of them should be awake. I just walk in and set up my laptop on the counter. I'm assuming Clay will be the first one up in a little bit, and since he's the one who told me to be early, I'm hoping he's the first too.

I'd be okay if Nick came down the stairs as well. He doesn't really care if I'm over here. In fact, Nick randomly asks me to move in all the time. He wants me to spend the night in the guest room, so we can continue our conversation until five in the morning. He was ecstatic when he found out I actually did a couple days ago, whether or not it was because I wouldn't be able to get behind a wheel.

The only person I wouldn't want it to be is George. We're not as close as the other guy's wish we were, but we'll acknowledge each other's presence as long as someone else is in the room.

It's almost as if he was summoned by me thinking of his name because it is George who walks into the kitchen. He gives me a look before he opens the fridge, but neither of us say anything. I just keep looking at my laptop and open the google docs.

I'm doing the majority of the coding now that I know exactly what I'm doing. Clay and George might change the colors or design of the elevator, but when it comes to the mobs and surprises, that's all on me.

George had grabbed a water bottle and put some toast in the now-magically-cleaned toaster. He's taking a long sip of water now.

I keep my eyes trained on my computer, but I can sense him staring at me. I pull up a fresh document, but the wifi makes my computer take an extra second. I take this time to meet George's eyes.

"Good morning, y/n," he says almost robotically.

I nod once. "Morning, George."

"Are you working on the elevator video?" he asks.

"Yes, I just started." I almost laugh. This whole conversation is forced, but Nick would throw a party about us talking at all.

His toast pops up, and I think we're both relieved. He puts some jelly on it, then looks back to me. "I'm going to the store to get some things if they ask," he says before leaving.

I hear him open the door and mutter, "I hate this door," before shutting it.

Clay rolls out of bed about a half an hour later. He smiles when he sees I'm in the kitchen.

"Early start?" he asks as he grabs the oatmeal container.

I nod while finishing a line of code. When I'm done, I watch as he makes his breakfast.

"Want some?" he asks without looking up.

"No thanks," I say. We're quiet for a second before I remember someone else that was in this kitchen. "George went to the store."

Clay gasps sarcastically. "George woke up before 6pm?"

I nod. "He did indeed. Complained about the door on his way out."

Clay rolls his eyes. "You guys are ridiculous."

"But we agree, your door is awful," I point out.

"I think you mean atrociously dreadful." He smiles.

I furrow my brows. The words sound familiar, and Clay says it like an inside joke. I just can't put my finger on what it is.

Clay waves it off. "That's besides the point."