CHAPTER 64: MINUSCULE

APRIL 21

FOUR MONTHS IN NEW YORK

"Okay," I say as I grab a light jacket off a hook in my room. "I think I have everything, but I should check the tracking one more time." I spin around once, frantically looking around the room. I turn to Ben, who's been witnessing the hot mess express that I've become. "Where's my phone?"

He holds up a thin rectangular object. I laugh at myself and reach for it. Before I can even open the app, Ben places his hands on my shoulders. 

"You know the plane isn't going to go any faster just because you're watching it's every move?" he asks softly, "You can relax a little, okay?"

I roll my eyes and hold up the flight tracker. I point to the moving dot. "But look how much closer they're getting."

"You know what? You're right." He shakes his head and sighs in defeat. He's been listening to me rant about Nick and George coming to New York for the entire week, no month. Now it's finally happening. "You are the one moving that plane with your own stubborn willpower."

I place the phone down on the desk next to me. I can hear every bit of sarcasm lining his voice, but I'm glad he keeps up with my antics. "Thank you for that."

Ben wraps his hands around my waist, and, even after two months of being together, it still sends electricity through my bones. I wrap my arms around his shoulders.

"Are you sure you don't want to come hang out with us?" I ask; my voice is quieter now.

"Nick and George are your friends," he says, "You need to have your own time with them."

"And you're my boyfriend."

He smiles and leans down to kiss me once on the lips. "I will never get tired of hearing that."

"What if you just went to the airport with me," I suggest.

"And ruin your sappy reunion? No way." He shakes his head. "Plus, I have work."

I scrunch my nose in disgust. I asked off for the day to hang out with Nick and George all weekend. "What if you just stopped by and said hello?" I try again, "That way, they don't think I'm lying about you."

"And why would you lie about me?"

I shrug. "I don't know. Just stop by okay?"

He sighs and kisses the top of my head. "Fine, but I really do need to leave for work now."

We pull away from our little hug, and I walk him to the door. "They would love you more if you brought food," I call out after him, "Specifically Chinese."

He shakes his head. I hear a faint "Got it!" as he walks down the stairs.

_ _ _

I would like to think my mind was what brought Nick and George to New York, but I still have to wait half an hour for them to finally get off the plane. I watch the dot on my screen land right near me, and then I watch it sit there. Finally, it disappears, signaling that the flight is over. I transition to watching the gate.

"I told you to bring a smaller suitcase," I hear them before I see them.

"I didn't own a smaller suitcase," I hear again when two men appear at the gate.

"Then buy one," Nick says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. He's texting as he speaks. My phone chimes right as I watch him look up from his phone. Nick's face erupts into a smile. "y/n!"