CHAPTER 21: THE DATE

I knock on the door of Nick and Clay's house. Nobody answers, so I knock once again. Instead of an answer, I get a call from Nick.

"Would you just walk through the door?" He laughs. "I'm too lazy to get up."

I cautiously put my hand on the doorknob and move it to the right. It opens easily, and I glance around the dim, empty-looking house. "Where's Clay?" I ask.

"He went to get something from his Mom," Nick says casually. "I'm upstairs."

I make my way up the stairs to Nick's room. I open the door and look at Nick, who's smiling, sitting on his bed on the phone with me.

"You weren't even doing anything." I hang up the phone and shake my head. "Why couldn't you answer the door?"

He rolls his eyes. "I was too comfortable," he says with a hint of duh in his voice. He moves a big pile of blankets off to the other side of his bed. "Come hang out with me while you wait for Dream."

I take my place next to him. "How are you doing Nick?"

"I'm doing pretty good, y/n. How are you?"

"Pretty good as well."

Nick turns his music down just a bit so we can hear each other better. "What brings you over here now?"

"Clay is having some trouble with the code," I explain, "It won't run on my computer."

"Why doesn't he ask George?" Nick asks.

I shrug. I've only had two conversations with George, both about coding. I think Clay put George's number in my phone, but I have yet to use it.

Nick shakes his head with a smile. "That's dumb of him."

I turn more towards him. "What do you mean?"

"He should just ask you to hang out instead of needing a reason," Nick points out, "It's not that hard. I mean, we're hanging out for no specific reason right now."

I nod. "You have a very good point, Nick."

"I always do."

I roll my eyes. "The people living in this house are always so sure of themselves."

Nick smirks. "It's called confidence, baby."

I let out a short laugh. "I hate that you said that."

"Oh well." Nick shrugs and then sighs, looking up at his ceiling. "We should get food tomorrow. I'm craving something."

"Like what?" I ask, always down for some dinner.

"I'm thinking sushi," he says, "What do you think?"

"Sushi sounds great." I smile.

Both our heads turn when a door shuts loudly downstairs, followed by a pattering up the stairs. Clay appears in the doorway in a matter of seconds.

"Hey," he says.

"Took you long enough," I joke, "I was stuck with this guy for like ten minutes. It was awful."

Nick shakes his head with a smile. "Absolutely horrendous."

Clay rolls his eyes. "Are you ready to look at the code?"

I nod, getting up from my spot. I glance back at Nick before leaving. "Bye dude."

"Bye dude."

Clay just looks at me as we walk down the hall towards the stairs. "You guys have a weird bond."

I shrug. "You locked us in a room for a couple days while your faceless butt was downstairs. We had no choice but to bond."

He chuckles. "So strange."