Chapter 9

"Steven. Stop looking. " the voice said, harsher things time. He ran as his apartment seemed to be breaking  down.

He ran into the hallway and into the elevator. He thought it was over then. The elevator stopped with a hard thud.

The elevator door opened and he looked out, looking for what, he didn't even know.

He started clicking The ground floor button rapidly. "No. G. G. G. Let's go. Come on. Ground floor." He said.

The elevator closed and then stopped again. Steven heard growling, like an animal almost. He couldn't see what it was because it was extremely dark.

The lights flickered and he caught a glimpse of what looked like a tall, mummy. He put his back against the elevator wall as the monster started to move closer and closer.

He got cornered, thinking that the mummy was gonna kill him or something. "Hold the door." An elderly woman said, holding open the door.

Steven yelled, expecting the monster. Instead he was met face to face with a woman. He covered his mouth in embarrassment and shock.

The woman looked at him like he was mad. I mean who wouldn't? He did look pretty crazy at the moment.

"Hiya."

"Hi." The woman replied nervously.

"You all right?" He asked.

"Fine thank you." She chuckled at him nervously.

"Just lost my contact lens.." he said covering up what was really happening with a lie.

"Hope you find it." The woman said.

"Electrical problems in the building, init?" He said, trying to make light of his situation.

"Always the same isn't it?" She said, stepping out of the elevator.

"Are we Back on the fifth floor?" He asked the woman before the door closed.

"Yes the fifth. My friend Claire lives here. I'm visiting her. She's expecting me. " She knocked on a door rapidly, and looked at the man scared almost.

He looked back in the elevator and saw the figure closer now. He was in all white, with a bone-like face, and he was holding a staff. He was also wrapped like a mummy.

Steven yelled, and next thing he knew he was on the bus.

On the bus, he saw the figure again. He looked at it scared, and confused. He didn't know if it was a person or not.
———————————————————————————
"So you really do work here?" A voice said behind him.

"I'd assumed Steven Grant was an alias. Imagine my surprise to find you here. Also, I guess you should know. I have your little girlfriend tied up somewhere. She came earlier having said something about needing to speak to you."

"L-Lana?" He asked, shakily. He couldn't believe it.

"Yes, I believe that was her name. You should hand over the scarab before she gets hurt, Steven."

"Mate, I don't have you bloody beetle." He said, nervously.

"Oh no. The scarab doesn't belong to me. It belongs to her. Do you know Ammit?" Arthur asked.

Steven however could care less, he was more worried about Lana.

"No.. not personally. Egyptian deity. World first bogeyman."

"She was only the bogeyman for evildoers. She grew weary of having to wait for sinners to commit their crime before punishing them." Arthur said, backing Steven up to a wall.