Chapter 2: The Search for Eveline

Y/N POV

I rushed through the ship, making my way through corridors, doors and multiple rooms, intent on finding my objective. I glanced down at the device on my wrist pinpointing Eveline's precise location, hopefully along the way, I'd find Mia as well.

Aside from Alan, I'd not yet encountered another member of the ships passengers, I had however, found more of those Molded however now that I had the submachine gun, I would just open fire and after a few automatic rounds, the Mold Bioweapon would just collapse and dissolve. 

I couldn't afford to get too trigger-happy though. I didn't know how much ammo was on this ship, for all I knew it could be scarce. I had to be mindful about how much I used until I could find some more.

Luckily for me though a bit into my exploration, I came across another storage room. I found some ammunition which I was able to take. However I also found an interesting bottle containing a corrosive liquid. I'd seen these be used in the past to melt through a number of things, including broken locks as well as that Mold that seemed to be sprouting up across the ship.

Image of the Corrosive:

A grin spread across my face as I said "Could come in handy

A grin spread across my face as I said "Could come in handy." I placed the bottle in my pocket, not wanting it to leak and burn through my pants. Aside from that and the ammo, there was nothing else of use in this room so I moved on, closing the door behind me.

Continuing to make my way through the ship, I found nothing of interest. I encountered a few Molded however thanks to the ammo stash I'd found I was freely able to take them out quickly before they had a chance to infect me.

Eventually, I made my way back on myself, finally arriving back on the lift which I'd used before. I'd already explored some of the floors above and below this one, but the lift would allow me to reach some of the ones even lower.

I did just that, heading into the lift I pressed the button for floor S2. After a short ride I found myself in some kind of utility area, pipes lined the walls around me. It was at this point I began to notice some of the black Mold growing on the walls in a grotesque manner.

I wound up getting distracted by this and I didn't notice the Molded turning the corner in front of me until I almost walked right into it. Upon noticing, I staggered back. The Molded turned to me and ferociously bared its teeth at me.

I raised my machine gun and tried to open fire however all I heard was a faint clicking sound come from it. I snapped "Really?! Crap!" And quickly tried to reload before the Molded could get to me. 

Again, I seemed to be lucky, as the Molded was about to attack there was the sound of gunfire however this wasn't coming from me. As the Bioweapon collapsed to the ground, I was surprised to see MIA standing there with her own submachine gun in front of her.

Image of Mia Winters:

I sighed in relief and said "Mia, thank god you're alright

I sighed in relief and said "Mia, thank god you're alright. I was beginning to worry." Mia wasted no time asking "What are you doing down here? I thought you'd have tried to evacuate." To that I replied "Evacuate? In these winds? No, Alan told me to come find you and help subdue Eveline."

Mia smiled and brought me in for a hug saying "Well I'm glad you're alright. And I appreciate the support. Come on, I've got a lock on her now that I've been following." She held up her own wristband which had a similar beacon on it, signifying that Eveline was close by.

Together we both continued through the corridors of this floor. I reloaded my gun in order to avoid another embarrassing incident like what just happened and at last we arrived at a door which seemed to be our best route forward. 

Mia tried opening it and said "Damn, it's either locked or Eveline's Mold has sealed it shut." I then remembered that corrosive liquid I'd found in that storage room earlier. I said "Step aside, I've got something that should do the trick."

Holding the bottle to the Mold-infested lock, I gave the bottle a squeeze causing the liquid to squirt out of the nozzle. Steam spouted up and just like that, the lock burnt away and the door swung open. I commented "Voila, there we go."

We found ourselves in some sort of generator room. Mold was completely overgrowing the walls, floor and everything else. It was at this point that a bone chilling yet familiar voice asking in a quiet tone "Are you mad at me mummy?"

That would be the voice of Eveline, I told you before that she made me uncomfortable. Even so, on the occasions where I'd had to interact with her, I always tried to make her feel welcomed. She acted interested around me whenever we spoke, often asking about my personal like, especially my relation to Mia, in fact she seemed to have taken a particular interest in her above everyone else. 

Mia replied "No Evie, I'm not mad." She then noticed something "Wait, what did you call me?" I noticed it to. The use of the term 'Mummy'. Eveline spoke again, in a whiney tone "I don't want to live at the lab anymore. I want a house. And I want YOU to be my mommy! I want Y/N to be my uncle!" As she said that I instantly became even more uncomfortable. I muttered "I'm resigning after this."

Mia replied "OK Evie, I'll be your mummy. Just come back with me right now, OK?" I scolded "You shouldn't fill her head with ideas. We have no idea how she'll react." To that Mia defended "What do you expect me to say? Besides, it's the best way to draw her out."

Eveline didn't say anything after that. Mia looked down at her device and the number on it started increasing, as did mine. This meant Eveline was getting further and further away. Mia asked "Where are you Evie?!"

I called "Eveline, come on out sweetie." We heard a giggle causing us to turn around. We briefly saw Eveline stood in a doorway before she ran off slamming the door behind her. Mia yelled "Evie wait!"

As if on cue, Mia was contacted by Alan. Upon answering we heard him ask "Did you find her?" Mia replied "Yes, but she ran off." I leaned forward and added "She's making more friends Alan. Those things are everywhere."

Alan coughed and said "I told you so." He began a frantic coughing fit causing Mia to ask "Are you ok?" To that he replied "You two just worry about getting Eveline back." With that he hung up. I said "We need to hurry, catch her before it's too late." Mia nodded and said "You don't have to remind me."

We wasted no time backtracking through the tanker. At this point the alarms began blaring, we found more corrosive substances and eventually made it back to the lift. We pushed the button to head back up however shortly after we heard the automated voice saying "EMERGENCY SAFETY LOCKDOWN SYSTEM HAS BEEN ENGAGED!"

That didn't stop us though, we each grabbed a side of the door and pulled prying the door open. We were just about able to climb up onto the next floor. We continued our search even more, between the two of us we were able to shoot down any Molded we came across.

After more of a search, burning through more locks and killing more Molded, we finally found ourselves back at the room where Alan had initially been. However upon opening the door, there was no sign of him now.

Mia muttered "Damnit." Before attempting to call Alan. While she did that I noticed something on the wall which caught my attention. Upon failing to contact him, Mia asked "Alan? Alan where the hell are you?"

I pointed out "Mia?" She looked at where I was pointing. Written in large black letters were two words which told us where we would need to go next.

"EVIE'S UPSTAIRS!"

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter as well. I really hope you enjoyed this one as much as the last one and as always, thank you for reading.