Chapter 62: Meeting Moreau

Y/N POV

While Castle Dimitrescu and House Beneviento were both grand and immaculate in their appearance. It seems Moreau had drawn the short end of the stick. While the reservoir WAS pretty large, it looked run-down and all around, uncared for.

Even so, we knew why we were here. Me and Ethan both headed towards the windmill, a few pigs were nearby, minding their own business. We just went went right past them and entered the rickety old windmill.

Inside, we found a flight of stairs with a yellow sign next to it that read 'Reservoir elevator' with an arrow pointing down the steps. We descended them and sure enough, reached a lift at the end. Even THAT wasn't as advanced as the lifts we'd found at Castle Dimitrescu and House Beneviento, this one was made almost completely of wood with a bulky metal lever to control it.

Entering the lift, I reached out and with a little effort, managed to push the lever. The lift began to travel down with the sound of turning gears being heard overhead. The trip wasn't all that long and eventually we arrived at what seemed to be some kind of underground tunnel network.

We walked out of the lift and began making our way through the dark tunnels. Beneath us, were a series of puddles that splashed as we walked through them. A foul odour filled the air which made Ethan cover his mouth and nose with his arm and mutter "Damn, it stinks in here."

I responded by doing the same gesture and saying "You can say that again." We arrived at an open clearing. There was a path heading directly along from the route we'd been on, however at the end was a gate which was locked from the other side.

Going back to the clearing, we found what appeared to be some wooden structures, their exact purpose was unknown, this lead to yet another metal barred gate, again it was locked from the other side. The only route available from here, appeared to be a mineshaft of sorts leading off to the left from these gates.

We both followed this tunnel until we reached its end, we found a narrow passage we were just about able to fit through. We walked up a wooden ramp leading to what seemed to be another wooden shack. As we drew closer, I heard something which caused me to raise my hand to Ethan and ask. "Wait, do you hear that?"

We both stopped and listened closely. It was faint, however we were just about able hear a voice coming from inside the structure. We approached slowly, squeezing through another narrow passage reaching a window.

As we both peered through my eyes widened when I saw none other than Salvatore Moreau himself, stood at the far end of the room, staring at a television that currently was only playing static. He seemed to not notice us, he rambled to himself in a groggy tone "Oh, Mother Miranda, if it's for you. I'll do anything."

Ethan jabbed me in the arm causing me to turn to him, asking "What is it?" Ethan pointed into the room and turning to see what he was pointing AT. On the table right near the window was Moreau's flask! With no effort to hide it whatsoever. a label on the side revealed these were Rose's arms.

I was sceptical as to why he would just leave it out on its own for seemingly no reason at all. However given that he was seemingly distracted by the TV, this opportunity was too great to pass up.

Image of the Arms Flask:

Ethan reached out and grabbed the flask from the table, and of course, as I should have seen coming, it was that EXACT moment that Moreau must have heard us and turned to look at us saying "Huh?" In a clueless tone

I muttered "Crap." And quickly ducked out of sight. Ethan however, in what was probably one of his stupidest moves yet. Held the flask up and declared "I'll just be taking this." This threw Moreau into a panic.

He flapped his arms and approached the window, babbling "Wait, wait, wait! What are you doing with Mother's special child?!" Ethan snapped "She's not hers!" What Moreau said next confused me, he tilted his head to the side and asked "Oh? You have something to say?"

Ethan asked "What do you mean 'Mother's special child'?" Moreau explained, still panicking. "Mother wants her baby back." Ethan yelled "Don't screw with me!" I chose this moment, to step around saying "Ethan, we've got the flask, let's go."

Moreau exclaimed "Please, please! If, if you take it, then the others will laugh at me! B-but if, if I do better than them..." He trailed off for a moment and my eyes narrowed. I thought back to Donna's concerns, how she constantly felt overshadowed by the others and just wanted to leave her mark, prove her worth. Perhaps Moreau was the same. 

Ethan angrily said "What do I care?" Moreau begged "Wait. Just a little longer ple-!" He stopped, for a second I was confused however then he started laughing. With a now-sinister tone lacing his voice. Ethan raised an eyebrow and asked "What's so funny?"

Moreau turned back to us and said coldly "You're stupid. You talk to much. You should have listened to your friend here, he's the smart one it seems." He laughed harder before saying "It's all over. I plugged the way in." 

Sure enough, turning to the walkway we'd come up, we saw that thick green goo completely cover it. This same substance began covering the window as Moreau declared "This is MY territory! And I won't let you leave!"

As the sludge completely covered our view of him. I muttered "Shit." Ethan added "Damn, freak." We began looking for a way out, and found it in the form of a narrow gap in the wood behind us. We managed to fit through and returned to trying to travel through the tunnels.

As we ran, we could hear Moreau's voice echoing around us "Dirty little thieves! I cannot let you have it! Even if you beg!" More of those slime-like growths began to come through the cave walls however we did our best to avoid them.

Soon we arrived in a large open area in the tunnel with two more little wooden shacks. It was here we were ambushed by a horde of Lycans. This time though there was about ten of them at once.

Me and Ethan each took cover using the two shacks. Ethan went straight for the grenade launcher, loading in a shell and firing it to kill three of the Lycans all in one explosion. After that though, he swapped to the shotgun while I used my rifle.

Looking down the sights of my scope I began aiming directly for each Lycan's head. Between me doing that and Ethan using the shotgun to basically blast anyone that got close, we actually did manage to get through them quite quickly.

I landed the final shot, hitting a Lycan square in its forehead, causing it to fall back to the ground with a thud. I sighed to myself and lowered the rifle as we both stepped from our cover and were about to proceed. 

However, from here, the tunnel split apart into two separate paths. Ethan commented "Which one is the way out?! Damn it!" I instantly came up with an idea. Well, I didn't come up with it then, it was the same exact thing we'd done constantly throughout our confrontations with the lords.

"How about, you go one way I'll go the other? If one leads to a dead end, quickly go and head down the other." Ethan brought his hand to his face and asked "Why is this always how it ends up?" 

I shrugged, responding "We cover more ground this way." Ethan said "I understand why we do it, I just wondered how it keeps coming to this." He paused for a moment before saying "Doesn't matter. Let's do it." I nodded and said "You have the flask, as long as you can get out of here, that's fine. If I find the exit, I'll wait for you to show up."

He did a nod himself before saying "Good luck." I replied "Same to you." And just like that, just like the two lords before. Me and Ethan wound up splitting up. And while we would end up in two different locations.

We'd each find something that would lead to us ending up at the same place anyway...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I really hope you enjoyed it. I'm still trying to plan out how the rest of this segment will go, I have a few ideas which I want to think about. I hope you like what I decide on and as always, thank you for reading.