Chapter 6: The Scrawled Note

Y/N POV

"I'm only gonna ask this once." There was a pause before the voice continued "Tell me what the hell is happenin' to my family!"

Looking up I saw Zoe staring down at me, a look of both rage and confusion spread across her face. I didn't answer at first, instead I was still catching my breath following the encounter with Jack mere minutes ago, I didn't know if he'd follow me out here but I didn't want to chance it.

My silence only angered Zoe further, she aggressively put a hand on my shoulder. Giving it faint push she yelled "I know that little girl did something to them! When I went to look after her she suddenly said something about my family being hers now. First mama, then daddy. Then Lucas. What did she do to them?!"

My mind was in total disarray, Zoe's rant caused another wave of familiarity to hit me however even after that my mind was still blank. I couldn't remember anything I raised my hands and stuttered out "I-I don't know. I don't remember anything!"

Zoe accused "Why should I believe you. How do I know you aren't fakin' amnesia to seem innocent!" Again I kept my hands out in front of me saying "Please, I'm being honest. I don't know if I should have any idea what's going on because frankly I can't remember!"

As I said that, Zoe's stance and gaze both softened slightly as she asked "You're tellin' the truth aren't you?" I nodded frantically and said "Yes." Zoe sighed before extending a hand out and saying "Fine. Come on."

She helped me back up to my feet before saying "Come on, we've gotta get out of here." I asked "When did all this start?" Zoe replied "A few hours ago, after you fell asleep I went to take care of the little girl, she suddenly woke up and the power went out."

I muttered "So that explains why it was so dark when I woke up." Zoe nodded "After that everyone started actin' weird. I still can't believe this is real!" I nodded and said "I just wish I could remember."

Zoe instructed "Come on, there's a trailer just over there, I was going to hide out there." I nodded and said "Okay. Better than being in the house or out here in the rain." With that I followed Zoe into the darkness, she held a lighter out in front of her.

Sure enough, just as she had said, we soon came across the white metal trailer. Thankfully the door was unlocked already and we headed in. Zoe put out the lighter and closed the door behind us, shutting out the rain in the process, now it could just be heard pounding on the window.

Her eyes suddenly widened as she said "What the-." Turning around to see what she was staring at, my eyes widened upon noticing the unconscious body of MIA on the floor of the trailer. I stepped over to her, kneeling at her side, gently shaking her and calling "Mia. Mia wake up."

There was no response, she seemed to be out cold, behind me I heard Zoe ask "So, THIS is Mia? Your sister?" I nodded and said "Yeah, but why is she out here." Zoe shook her head signalling she had no idea either before asking "What's that?"

She reached out and picked up a strange object that was right next to Mia. She stared at it for a moment before saying "Talk about creepy." She turned to me and asked "Do you know what this is?" She held it out and I got my first good look at it.

My eyes narrowed, this object seemed familiar. I knew I'd seen it before, but I couldn't remember when or where. More than likely I'd seen it before this whole ordeal began. I took the object from her and analysed it.

Image of the object:

My eyes shifted from the object when I noticed a series of papers on the table

My eyes shifted from the object when I noticed a series of papers on the table. Scrawled on them was some sort of note. As I picked the paper up, Zoe approached asking "What does it say?" I began reading and as I did so, my eyes widened in shock.

Upon reaching as far as I could I held it out to Zoe and said "It seems Mia wrote this to you and your family. I just-. I need a minute." Zoe took the note and began reading, I just stepped back breathing heavily.

Fragments of my memory began coming back, contents of the note caused flashbacks in my mind. There were still large chunks missing however piece by piece things began to add up. Mia's note read as follows.

'To the Baker Family,

Thank you for saving mine and Y/N's lives. But please forget all about us.

We were assigned to transport some important cargo on that ship. Getting involved with me, Y/N, or that cargo can only cause trouble for your family. BIG trouble. Please, don't contact the police or the state authorities. Just pretend we never met.

And, you saved us, so take this advice in return. If you see a girl near the ship who looks about ten years old DO NOT, approach her! If she talks to you, get away as quickly as you can. Just try not to make her angry in the process. If you've been feeling ill at all, then I'm afraid the worst may already have happened.

It's a fate worse than death and it can't be cured at a hospital. I'm so sorry.'

After that the note went off on a scrawl and was nearly unreadable. I did however notice mention of a serum that could perhaps become an antidote to this parasite. Other than that it was too difficult to make out.

I turned to Zoe and asked "So, is that it? You were on this ship?" I sighed and said "Looks that way." Zoe urgently asked "What about this serum? Do you think it can cure my family?" I thought for a moment and began saying "I'm not sure but-."

Suddenly the lights turned off in the trailer, Zoe tried flicking her lighter on but it didn't work. We turned around and out of nowhere a little girl with black hair stood behind us. The same one I recognized from the fractured memories of the ship.

She grabbed hold of Zoe's arm and let out a childish giggle. After that I was once more thrown into darkness...

Timeskip...

That was almost three years ago now. Zoe was in a constant struggle for survival, escaping her now-insane family members. I had no idea where Mia went, I saw her every now and then however as of recently she'd completely disappeared.

As for myself. I was currently locked inside a room within the Baker family's home. I had been given a gift you see, though this gift came at a price, sometimes I was completely normal and at others I became a monster. I hated what I was forced to become, yet I had no control over it.

Only SHE had control over it...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, now this is the complete introductory part done, while the tanker was technically the prologue, this was the introduction chapters. Now things will hopefully pick up. I hope you liked it and as always, thank you for reading.