Chapter 33: A Family Dinner Gone Sour

Timeskip, three years later...

Y/N POV

I sighed to myself as my car turned into the road Mia and Ethan lived on. My headlights brightening the way in front of me. My mind drifting into deep thought.

Three years, that's how long it had been since me, Mia and Ethan were rescued from the Baker's house in Louisiana. And yet, it felt like only yesterday. I still had nightmares every now and then about the events that transpired then.

I missed Zoe. We'd not been able to catch up much ever since the incident. The BSAA seemed to want to keep the incident under wraps. So she was moved to New Orleans while the three of us were all relocated to somewhere in Romania, for reasons unknown. Not that I'd argue with their decision. I still got to speak to Zoe over the phone, we'd just not been able to meet up in person.

I'd been taken up as a scientist for that 'Umbrella Corporation' being part of their Eastern European branch respectively. My knowledge into the Mold had proved to be useful to them and in exchange, they aided me in my goal to recreate the serum.

Even after all this time, I'd not gotten much further in my goal to either recreating the serum or making an entirely new one. I'd gotten all I could from the Molded arm the BSAA gave me, the notes left behind by the Connections were lost with the Tanker and up to now, I'd failed to find another D-Series. If there were more, they would be with the Connections, and I wouldn't be turning to them, not again.

My train of thought ended when my car pulled up on the driveway of Mia and Ethan's house. A smile spread across as I looked forward to seeing my niece again. Little Rosemary Winters. I was overjoyed when Mia told me she was pregnant. I looked forward to having a nephew or niece. The birth was difficult, but in the end, it was all worth it. Rose was a little ray of sunshine.

Reaching the door, I reached out and rang the doorbell. Shortly after the door opened to reveal Mia stood wearing light pink casual wear. She greeted me with a look of confusion. "Y/N? What are you doing here?"

Image of Mia Winters:

I replied "Ethan invited me over for dinner tonight remember? Sorry if I'm interrupting anything

I replied "Ethan invited me over for dinner tonight remember? Sorry if I'm interrupting anything." Mia shook her head. "No, no, you're not interrupting. I just didn't remember Ethan telling me you were coming. Explains why he got an extra plate out for you."

I smiled and entered the house. Now don't get me wrong, I didn't want to jump at conclusions. However I'd noticed Mia's behaviour had been strange as of late. She seemed very absent at times sometimes being quite blunt and easy to anger, to everyone except of course, Rose. I chalked it up to the difficulties of Rose's birth. It had definitely taken its tole on Mia and caused stress for both me and Ethan.

Going into the kitchen, I helped set the plates out for three and asked Mia "So, what are we having? Need help preparing it?" Mia gave me a smile and said "No, I've already made it, I'll serve it up in a minute. It's Ciorba De Legume, local recipe."