Chapter 27: The Voice in the Darkness

Y/N POV

The sound of a child's giggle caught my attention. For a second I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye however when I turned to face it properly it had disappeared through another open door.

While I didn't know for certain what it was, I had a faint suspicion that instantly put me on edge. With my 44 in hand, I followed after it. Entering another Mold-covered corridor, there was no sign of whatever made the giggle.

I remembered Mia's note once again, Eveline, the one with control over the Mold and all its properties, took the form of a little girl around 10 years old. I probably already knew this before, the giggle certainly seemed familiar. And if it was Eveline, I would definitely need to be careful.

Making my way down the corridor, I reached a staircase heading up to another level of the derelict tanker. Silence filled the air, aside from my footsteps against the metal with the occasional squelch of Mold. 

Walking down this corridor, I soon came to a door off to the side, upon opening it, I appeared to be in someone's quarters but I was left surprised at what I saw. It looked like a human CORPSE fossilised in a white shell identical to what happened to both Marguerite and Jack when they were defeated, it was no doubt his death was caused by the Mold but his posture caused me to feel even more uncomfortable.

He looked as if he was stepping back from something in fear, his expression hidden by a gas-mask. What he was cowering from, I couldn't tell at first. Instead I began inspecting the room for anything that could be of use.

Opening one draw in particular revealed a bottle containing a strange purple substance and a little nozzle poking out of the top. The design of the bottle looked familiar, lifting it up I saw a label that said 'WARNING: Corrosive Fluids' Perhaps something like this would possibly be useful to me. I placed the bottle in my pocket before suddenly snapping up when a growl suddenly rung through the room.

Spinning around, I saw a Molded seemingly emerge from the growths on the wall. Perhaps this was what the man had been cowering from! I'd hoped I'd not encounter another Molded after escaping the Baker home however seeing the Mold growing across this ship, I shouldn't have been surprised.

I reached for my 44 magnum and opened fire, having used most of my rounds during that final battle with Jack, I only had two bullets remaining. Luckily, all it took was one well-aimed shot to the head for the Molded to stagger back with a hole in its head before collapsing to the ground.

I stared at the Molded for a moment as it dissolved back into the ground. I found nothing more of value in this room so I gave one last look to the fossilised man's body and headed out of the corridor.

Looking left my eyes squinted for a moment, at the end of the corridor I swear I saw something or someone stood in the shadows. The shape of it was clearly human, I couldn't make out definite features though because of the length of the corridor and the darkness, I could only see an outline. It could have been anyone, Mia, Ethan, Eveline or someone else entirely. The latter was very unlikely though.

Regardless, I called out "Hey! You over there!" I didn't get a reply. Instead the figure ran off, confirming that there had been someone watching me. I took off after them, this corridor was a long one so it took me a while to reach the end where I found a T-junction.

The figure had headed right so I headed that way as well and as I was running I heard a voice. It was quiet yet it clearly belonged to a child, a young girl. "She promised. She promised she would be my mummy, and you would be my uncle."

I felt a sudden pain in my head, for a moment my vision completely shifted! The Mold covered walls returned back to a clean shining steel. It seemed in that moment, I was viewing things as they had once been.

A male voice could be heard yelling "Quick run! She's out of control!" Looking up, I saw a man wearing the same attire as the fossilised corpse, running towards me. Just as he was about to collide with me, my vision returned to normal. The man disappeared and the Mold returned to the walls.

I placed a hand to my head, shaking it a bit before asking "Uh... What the hell was that?" I looked around for a moment, the corridor had completely returned to its previous state only this time I noticed something.

A man's body lying on the floor, fossilised much like the last one, though this man was half-submerged in the Mold on the ground. Just by the corpse, I spotted something definitely worthwhile. A handgun lay right near the man's hand, likely being used by him in his last moments.

Image of the MPM Handgun:

A handgun would definitely be useful to me now

A handgun would definitely be useful to me now. I reached down and picked it up without a seconds hesitation. I wouldn't need to use my last 44 magnum round now. Placing that back in my pocket turned makeshift holster and now held the new MPM Handgun in front of me.

This only had six rounds now, but hopefully I'd find more soon. Handgun rounds were definitely more common than magnum rounds. With the weapon in hand, I looked up only to jump in shock when I saw someone once again at the end of the corridor staring at me.

This time I could see her clearly. A young girl, with long black hair partially covering her face. She stared at me with a blank expression. Seeing her triggered my mind to race, I knew who it was as I muttered "Eveline."

The girl spoke "She said she would be my mummy, that makes you my uncle." I looked at her confused and asked "What do you mean? I don't remember." I thought about what the Bakers said constantly, why they didn't just kill me whenever they caught me.

My confusion only angered the girl as she abruptly screamed "She PROMISED ME!" Before dashing away. I called after her "Hey! Wait!" I chased after her, rounding another corner to see a door abruptly slammed shut cutting off my path.

I was about to try and open it when it suddenly locked, looking down, I noticed Mold slowly growing around it. My eyes narrowed at this, I tried giving it a shove however the Mold around the lock meant it wouldn't budge.

It was now I remembered that corrosive liquid I'd found in that room. I don't know why, but I got the feeling it would be useful in here. I was glad the Bakers had given me a hoody and jeans with lots of pockets, I reached into one and got the corrosive out.

I held it to the lock and gave the bottle a squeeze. There was a hiss as stream erupted from the lock. The Mold was burnt away and soon the door swung open with no resistance at all. I dropped the now-empty bottle to the ground and entered through the door.

I came to an abrupt stop when I soon noticed another Molded in the corridor. I had already noticed me and began approaching, growls came from its toothed mouth. I glared at it and wasted no time raising my new handgun and opening fire.

Unfortunately, while one magnum round would be enough to take one of these out, it took four handgun rounds, all of which to the head for this Molded to collapse to the ground with a wheeze.

I instantly resumed my search for the girl until I reached a door. I opened it with no trouble. On the other side I saw a figure and I instinctively thought it was a Molded so I raised my handgun, with only two rounds left.

Before I could answer though the figure asked in a familiar voice. "Y/N?!" This caused me to lower my handgun and exclaim in response "Mia?!"

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I don't know how many chapters are left for the segment exactly, however we aren't too far off now. I've decided that Y/N will stay on the tanker with Mia when Ethan goes to confront Eveline, before the two of them are eventually found. I really hope you liked the chapter and as always, thank you for reading.