Chapter 48: Daniela's Demise

"We meet again, you'll find I won't be as easy this time around though."

Spinning around to the door, I saw an all too familiar cluster of insects, they flew over my head before landing in the centre of the library. Once again, taking form, Daniela emerged from the cluster, a bloodthirsty grin across her face.

By this point, it was safe to say I'd grown frustrated with the daughter's constant interruptions by this point. Even so I couldn't underestimate her. I looked around for a window or another panel. My attention landed on the skylight, however it looked like it would take more than gunshots to break that.

I was right, it seems Daniela had been strategic in where she confronted me again. I'd need to find a way to open up the skylight to let the cold in and regain my advantage. Turning back to Daniela I commented "You did think this through."

Daniela cackled to herself before saying "With Bela out of the picture, all I need is to bring you to mother and I'll instantly gain her favour. Besides, I never got to sample your flavour. I guess a light feed wouldn't hurt.

Quickly raising my handgun I snapped "You'll starve today then." Daniela's cackle transitioned into full-on laughter as she exclaimed "HAHAHAHA! I love it when they struggle, makes it all the sweeter!"

I instantly bolted to the side and not a moment too soon as Daniela turned into insects again and attempted to rush forward, swinging the sickle in her hand. As she missed, she turned to me and ordered "Hold still!"

There was no point in trying to shoot her now. Instead I just had to keep my distance and avoid her attempts to attack. She turned into bugs again and dashed towards me, this time though I was unable to react in time and she appeared in front of me and grabbed hold of me.

She thrust her head forward and dug her teeth into my shoulder, causing my to growl out in pain. She chomped down a few times before withdrawing backwards. My shoulder was bleeding as blood surrounded Daniela's lips. She grinned again and said "Mmm... Delicious. I think I'd like seconds of that!"

I began squirming and eventually, was able to force myself out of Daniela's grasp. Daniela commented "I told you this wouldn't be like last time, now come over here so I can have another helping!"

Dodging to the side, I was once again avoided Daniela swinging at me with her sickle and it was at this point I noticed something of interest. Under the skylight were four pillars holding up the ceiling. On one of those pillars was a lever. A light smile appeared across my face. 

I sprinted towards the lever and quickly gave it a pull. And it was just like that, the tables turned completely in my favour. The skylight opened up like a hatch and an even larger gust of cold air shot through the room.

At this point Daniela was right under the skylight so she got the full burst of it. With an ear-piercing scream, she dropped to her knees and this provided me with the exact opening I needed, raising my handgun I stated "It seems you learned nothing after all." Before opening fire.

Bullet after bullet hit Daniela causing her to fall backwards. She barely managed to recover and get back to her feet. She glared at me "No... NO! I can't die here. I've lived too long in Bela and Cassandra's shadows, this is my chance to truly become mother's favourite!"

She rushed forward with the ferocity of a savage animal. Much like Bela before her when she was cornered. Her anger though along with her inability to disburse anymore made her no tougher than the Moroaica or Lycans.

Thanks to the military training I'd undergone with Umbrella after the Baker incident, I was athletic enough to avoid her slashes. I dodged one that caused her to slash her sickle into the bookcase behind me.