Chapter 13: The Old House

Y/N POV

I had never made it as far as the old house before. The last time I'd made it out this far, Jack had managed to catch me before I'd got that far last time. Of course now he'd already been dealt with so this was my chance. And if what Zoe said was true, it may just hold the key to this 'serum' that would allow us all to hopefully get out of here.

The game had changed, now that Jack had told me Ethan was ALSO infected, I couldn't risk him leaving and passing Eveline's 'gift' to anyone else. It was important that we find this serum soon, time was of the essence. I just wish I could fully-remember everything that had happened leading up to this point, perhaps I knew something that could have helped.

Searching around the trailer, I found nothing else of use aside from a few extra rounds for the 44 Magnum Zoe gave me. Placing those in my pocket I felt I was ready to set out towards the old house. Exiting the trailer I looked up towards the sky.

It was pitch black outside, the stars shining overhead. I looked down for a moment, contemplating the events that had transpired these last three years. Even though I couldn't remember fully, I felt somewhat responsible for the grim fate that befell the Baker family.

Pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind, I descended into the trees. Leaving both the main house and the trailer behind, I headed in the direction where I believe this old house was located. 

And sure enough, it didn't take me long to reach a metal barred gate. Beyond it was a rickety wooden structure that I'm certain was the house in question, a narrow wooden bridge extended towards the front door and a circular window at the top of the building emanated a dim light.

The boards on the bridge creaked under my feet as I approached cautiously. I didn't know what to expect from this place. Zoe mentioned her mother Marguerite, meaning she liked had something going on here. I'd have to keep my eyes peeled and my wits about me.

Upon reaching the door to the house, I found it left slightly open. It seems Ethan had already made it here before me. I placed a hand on the chipped wooden door and pushed it open. What I found inside caused my eyes to widen.

This house was in an even more deteriorated state than the main house before. Disgusting cocoons grew from the walls, all over the place, swarmed with flies. I thought back to my past encounters with Marguerite, the flies and insects that crawled all over her body. I commented "Yep, this is definitely Marguerite's domain.

Despite my discomfort with this whole place, I stepped forward into the house. The door slowly swung shut and I heard it faintly close behind me. Now here I was, an entirely new area to explore and hopefully, find something related to either Mia and Ethan's whereabouts, or related to the serum.

Straight away, I began taking in my surroundings. To the right was a closed door, to the left was a gaping hole in the floor. I didn't want to risk trying to get over that so I instead headed towards the door to the right.

This lead me to another room of the house, furniture strewn all over the place, more cocoons growing from the objects, flies swarming them. I didn't want to disrupt them, instead I did my best to sneak past them.

Crouching down, I took light steps in an attempt to avoid the swarm. However this effort proved to be pointless. The sound of fluttering filled my ears, it seemed to be coming from behind me and on top of that, it seemed to be getting LOUDER!

Turning around I was surprised when I found myself met by a giant insect. It somewhat resembled a grasshopper, except it was giant! Its wings flapped violently as it flew forward preparing to attack.

Image of a Man-Eating Insect:

My first instinct was to draw my magnum and blast it to pieces

My first instinct was to draw my magnum and blast it to pieces. However I realized that it would be a waste, besides, despite the insect's huge size, it was still quite manoeuvrable and could easily cause me to waste ammo, which seemed to be in very short supply around here.

Instead I reached for the axe I found in the main house. I'm glad I'd kept that around. In a swift motion, I hacked at the giant insect. It tried retaliating by biting at me with its pincered mouth. It did actually succeed in nicking my arm however I soon put an end to the creature as I swung the axe down into its head, killing it easily.

That however, set the swarm of smaller insects around the cocoons into a frenzy. They all rushed towards me and I was unable to defend from all of them. They buzzed around my upper half, biting away like mad. I could feel each of their little bites as I tried to swat them away.

I began stepping back, the smaller insects retreating back to their cocoon as I did so. I headed back to the door I'd initially headed through back to the entrance room where the giant hole in the floor was.

I leaned against one of the walls and muttered "You know, this place would be so much easier if I had a flamethrower or something like that. Burn those cocoons down. No more bugs then. Damn it, this place gets worse everywhere I go."

In all honesty, when I overpowered Jack, I thought I had a good chance. But it turns out that Marguerite's bug obsession may cause even more of a problem than Jack AND those Molded in the basement.

I approached the giant hole and it was here that I noticed another door just to the side of that. Approaching it, I found it already unlocked pushing it open I was met with yet another room, infested with cocoons. It honestly reminded me of the Mold covering the walls of the basement.

Insects continued to buzz around, it would seem I'd have to fight my way past them. Before I could do that though, I noticed something scrawled out on the wall in red lettering that I honestly believe was blood.

'She's upstairs! Don't go up!'

The fact that it looked to be written in blood made me uneasy especially since according to Zoe, we were the first people to make it this far. Had she written it? If so who was she referring to? Obviously I'd assume Marguerite, but it could refer to anyone, Mia, or perhaps Eveline. But given how she said DON'T go up, and how I'd already seen Eveline's current state, I knew it was Marguerite.

The real question is, was she still here now?

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, the first in this part of the segment. I really hope you enjoyed it and as always, thank you for reading.