Chapter 60: Sparing Donna Beneviento

Y/N POV

A loud thump from downstairs caught my attention. Now that I had the second flask, there was no need for me to linger up here. I left the strange doll storage room, left Donna's bedroom and made my way back down the corridor.

As I walked, I glanced at the flask once again, reading the label. The metal lid on the top of it bore what I believed to be the crest of House Beneviento. A sun with a face, half-covered by a crescent moon, also with a face.

I exited the corridor on the upper landing area, I first leaned over the railing, looking down to the lower level, seeing what I could spot, when suddenly something happened that caught me off guard. The voice of Angie could be heard screeching "EVERYTHING WOULD BE BETTER IF ROSE WASN'T BORN!"

Out of a door on the lower level, Angie suddenly came flying out, I knew this meant Donna was controlling her. She headed for the stairs and began gliding up them. Out of that same door, my eyes widened as Ethan followed.

Angie barged past me screeching "OUT OF THE WAY!" She flew past and went into the room at the far end that I'd investigate earlier. To my knowledge it was just a dead end. Ethan climbed up afterwards and as he approached he spoke up. "Y/N, I've got her. Come on."

I was kind of confused and asked "What?" Ethan didn't reply though and instead continued running past me, into the same bedroom Angie had ducked into. I was about to follow when I suddenly heard the sound of someone being stabbed following by Angie screaming in pain!

As I got to the door, she could be heard screeching "YOU DO THIS TO ROSE TOO?!" She flew in the direction of the door yelling at me "DON'T JUST STAND THERE, STOP HIM!" I noticed blood dribbling down her head.

Ethan stood up and began to follow after, a pair of scissors in his hand. He began running and as he passed I ran after him, asking "What is going on?" Ethan replied "What does it look like? I'm putting a stop to this!"

My eyes widened, I should have realized this sooner. Ethan didn't know what I knew about Donna. I continued to follow after them, I knew I'd have to act otherwise I knew what would happen.

Ethan managed to catch up to Angie, abruptly grabbing her by the arm and spinning her around. There was a split in her face with grotesque tentacles. She laughed before screeching "STUPID IDIOT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY CUTE FRIENDS!"

Ethan grabbed the doll by the neck and raced the scissors. And that's when I couldn't take it anymore. I ran forward and tightly grabbed hold of Ethan's arm as I snapped "Okay, enough of this!"

My outburst made Ethan look at me in shock and confusion as he asked "What the hell are you going on about? You know who this is right?" I nodded and said "I do, but I can't let you kill her." This made Ethan's expression go from surprise to anger as he snapped.

"Why?! She deserves it, we need to kill her so we can get the flask!" I retorted "I already have the flask, right here." Reaching into my pocket, I held up the container. Ethan stared at it and asked "How did you-?" 

He shook his head for a moment before turning his attention to the still squirming Angie. He spat "Do you know what this sick bitch has in her basement?! I found a disturbing doll that resembled Mia, as I was leaving I was attacked by some monster foetus thing, I don't even know how to describe it."

I sighed to myself before saying "Look, I've encountered similar things. But I made a choice. I found out the Bakers had no control over their actions, I felt guilt." Ethan pointed out "That's different. These 'Lords' are all the same."

It was at this point I realized explaining myself was useless. Instead I just calmly said "Trust me, you know I'd never do something like this unless I knew what I was doing." There was a moments silence before Ethan let out a sigh of his own.

He let go of Angie causing her to drop to the floor as he reluctantly said "Fine, but you'd better know what you're doing." I nodded and said "I do." Turning back to Angie I said "You can stop hiding now."

Just like that, Donna rematerialized in front of us. Instantly I noticed she appeared to be in pain, I remembered before. Ethan had stabbed Angie in the face, it seemed these injuries had reflected on Donna's own body as well.

Kneeling in front of her, I reached towards her veil to see the injury when she grabbed my hand. I could tell she was uncomfortable. I explained "I need to tend to the wound before it becomes infected. Please let me lift the veil."

There was a pause, with Donna seemingly staring at me before shakily reaching for her veil, she lifted it up once again revealing her face. This time though, I saw a large gash right across her forehead. She was lucky, any deeper and she'd have been dead for certain.

Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out a bottle of first-aid medicine that I'd bought from the Duke. I warned "This will sting a bit. Just please, try to relax." I couldn't risk pouring the fluid on her as the injury was close to her eye. Instead I just lightly dipped my fingers in it.

With the alcoholic liquid on my finger I began lightly rubbing it onto Donna's forehead. She hissed at the stinging pain as I reassured "Don't worry. It will only hurt for a few seconds. It'll be worth it though."

As soon as I'd finished applying it I said "There we go. The cut should heal up in a few days." Donna let her veil fall back down over her face and asked "Why did you save me? Again." I replied "Like I told you before, you deserve a second chance."

Standing up I asked "Are you sure you don't want to leave this place?" Donna shook her head. "I'm still not sure. I have lived in this house all my life. I don't know if I'd be able to just leave." I smiled a bit.

"Don't worry, it's your choice. We'll need to go now but I'll come back to check on you once we have the flasks from Moreau and Heisenberg." Donna nodded at that and also stood up. Behind me Ethan said "We should get going, the sooner we find those flasks, the sooner we get Rose back and the sooner we can get out of here."

I replied "Okay." and we began making our way towards the front door. Before we could leave, Donna once again called out "Y/N." Turning around to look at her, she said "Take this." She tossed something in my direction which I caught.

It appeared to be some sort of metal key-like replica. We'd seen one of these before, in the house with the red chimney. I instantly knew what to do with it. I held up the four-winged key we'd used to get here and managed to merge it with the new piece Donna had just given me.

Image of the Four-Winged Unborn Key:

I looked back to Donna and spoke sincerely

I looked back to Donna and spoke sincerely. "Thank you." Donna responded, her voice still a hushed whisper. "Be careful. Moreau and Heisenberg are not to be underestimated." I stated "We won't." 

I will admit, I was curious. Given what we'd already experienced in Castle Dimitrescu and House Beneviento up to this point, I wondered what the next Lord would have in store for us...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter and the main House Beneviento part of the story. Like I've said before, we will return at a later point. At the earliest it will be after Heisenberg is defeated. Next up of course, will be Moreau and his swamp. I realized recently, I could do something special with this part as well since I kind of felt bad for Donna and Moreau in particular. I hope you like what I have planned as well as this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.