Chapter 23: Confronting the Mastermind, the D-Series Head

Y/N POV

Pain completely filled my body, there was the stinging from the two spikes that had been shot into my body during the puzzle to get that final key. I had already removed the spikes and thanks to Eveline's 'gift' wasn't left with any severe bleeding wounds. My left hand however still burned from the acid from the lever puzzle to get the other keys.

I tried to drown both these feelings out with rage. Rage towards Lucas Baker! Unlike Jack and Marguerite, who I still hated but a part of me felt bad for, Lucas seemed to have never been a 'reasonable' person, judging by the diary me and Ethan found in his old bedroom.

There was also the more recent instance of him kidnapping Mia and Zoe, stealing the D-Series head that we'd need for the serum and of course, making me and Ethan run through these psychotic 'games' of his.

Now that I'd managed to escape his death trap though, there was that would stop me from getting to Lucas. I limped down the corridor heading into the unknown. Hoping to either come across Lucas, or some of that first-aid medicine to cure my injuries.

Lucas could be heard screaming over a speaker in the corridor. "NO! You weren't supposed to survive! Why'd you have to ruin my fun?!" I kept going, ignoring his wails and complaints and focused purely on walking onwards. I got the feeling I was getting close, Lucas went silent after that, probably tormenting Ethan. I could only hope he had just as much luck as I did with my puzzle.  

Eventually after limping for a few minutes, I arrived at a T-junction, I briefly looked left, seeing a door before settling on going right, I ascended a staircase, rounded a corner going right and finally arrived at a door. I wasted no time violently shoving it open and on the other end I was met with none other than Lucas Baker.

We stood face-to-face for a moment before Lucas let out an enraged noise and yelled "AGH! I wanted you and Ethan BOTH to light the candles on the cake! But NOOOO, you had to spoil things by discovering the other entrance. AND to make matters worse, you had to find a way through my impossible back-up game! You should be cooked inside and out by now!"

I muttered "Wasn't exactly impossible, you just placed wooden boards over the exit and left an obnoxious message. Now-." My expression turned to one of anger as I raised my 44 Mag and aimed it directly at Lucas' head. "Tell me, where are Mia and Zoe?! What have you done with them?! And what about Ethan?! Did he survive your little game as well?!"

Too my surprise, Lucas' shocked expression turned into a grin and he let out a faint laugh. "Are yer really that concerned?! Mia and her useless husband I can understand, but why Zoe? Does someone have a little crush? And on my sister of all people?"

I snapped "Answer my damn question!" Lucas laughed again before gesturing behind him and saying "You can see 'em if yer want! Heh heh!" I looked and saw a series of computer monitors seemingly linked to cameras showing various places across the Baker property.

First my attention turned to one monitor in particular. I saw Ethan frantically stumbling around a room. What appeared to be a lit candle in his hand. Behind me, Lucas explained "Seems he's becomin' just as lucky as you. If you were there, he'd probably find it much easier."

I ignored his last remark and continued to glance at the monitors and soon my focus landed on another one. Here I saw both Mia and Zoe, on their knees, hands bound in front of them with their backs to the camera, Mia looked slumped down. I didn't recognize the location at first however I was pretty sure it was the old boathouse.

I stepped forward, placing my hands on the table as I mumbled "Mia..." I suddenly got a strange feeling though, a sense of unease filled me completely. I just about was able to move out of the way as Lucas violently went in to stab at me with a knife!

I quickly regained my footing and even more rage coursed through me. Violently grabbing Lucas' arm holding the knife, I raised it up in between us. He tried to squirm out of my grip however I wasn't letting go after that.

Lucas snapped "Let me go you freak!" I just glared at him. My grip tightened and there was a crack. Lucas let out a pained "GAH!" As the knife fell to the floor with a 'clang' sound. Lucas exclaimed "What the hell is wrong with you?!"

I growled with utter hatred "I'll ask you this once calmly and only once. Where is the D-Series Head?" Lucas paused for a moment before a light chuckle began. This soon evolved into full-on maniacal laughter as he replied "Go to hell! I ain't tellin' you a thing!"

At that point my rage snapped, in a quick motion, I pulled Lucas' arm painfully behind him and flung him forward, face-first into the table! A loud bang sounded through the room. I withdrew Lucas' head back only to slam him into the table again!

I pushed Lucas to the floor and once again, aimed my gun at him before saying "The D-Series Head, I know you have it!" Lucas grinned and started laughing again before saying "Yer think it's that simple?" That made me snap "Enough of your games Lucas! I need that D-Series!"

This only made Lucas laugh yet again, this time it was ear-piercing and echoed around the room. He began to calm down and said "Yer want it so badly. Fine." Slowly, I noticed him reach into the pocket of his hoodie before revealing the  D-Series.

I knew full-well there was a catch and sure enough he yelled "HERE!" He raised it in the air, looking like he was about to smash it into the floor. I could have shot his hand, however with only a few ammo rounds left for my 44, I couldn't waste them.

Instead, in a risky move, I dived to the ground, reaching out and catching the D-series before it hit the ground. While I was able to stop it from being damaged, this diversion gave Lucas the opportunity to scurry towards another door heading out of the room. Before he left, he turned to me and yelled "This isn't over Y/N! I'll get you you bastard!" With that, he sprinted out of the door, slamming it shut behind him!

I didn't follow though. I wanted to, but instead my attention turned to the D-Series in my hand and I realized there was a more important matter at hand than petty revenge against Lucas right now.

My attention turned back to the series of monitors, more specifically towards Ethan who during my skirmish with Lucas had actually managed to escape from the trap. I figured it would be best for me to wait for him here. 

I glanced at the D-Series as I muttered. "Hurry up Ethan." Time was of the essence, the sooner we found Mia and Zoe, the sooner we could get that serum made. And the sooner we may be able to get out of here!

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, we're getting closer now to the third and final part of this segment, I'm not planning to include 'Not a Hero' in this book because I felt Y/N wouldn't completely fit in that expansion. I really hope you like what's yet to come, I also hope you enjoyed this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.