Chapter 17: Marguerite's Swarm and the Shrine

Y/N POV

I continued to squeeze through the narrow passage until at last I came to the other end. For a moment I could still here Marguerite's enraged shrieks however just as I was about to come out the other end, they seemed to cease, the house, fell into complete silence once more, all that could be heard was the creaking of old rickety wood beneath my feet.

Stepping out of the thin crevasse, I took a glance at my surroundings. Interestingly enough, it seemed that be on the other side of that giant hole in the floor, on the other side of which was the front door.

This time though, I noticed a wooden walkway bridging the gap, attached to a crank that I knew wasn't there before. Ethan must have done that while I was busy. Between my little mope and the encounter with Marguerite which lasted longer than I'd hoped, I had no idea how long I'd been gone or how much Ethan had accomplished.

I began looking around at my surroundings, there actually wasn't all that much over here. My focus did eventually land on a door at the top of a flight of stairs with a large black bird, perhaps a crow or raven, emblazoned on it. It was safe to assume that would be the best bet for a future search.

Unfortunately, as I approached the door and attempted to open it only to find it locked, just as I'd come to expect from most of the doors with symbols on them. I was lucky with that scorpion door I found in the main house.

Stepping back down the steps again I muttered "Damn, got to find that key now." I was saved this effort. As if hearing my mutters, I heard a voice saying "Y/N?" Turning around, I saw Ethan carefully stepping over the walkway.

Once he reached the side I was on, he explained "Had to backtrack for a moment, looking for this." He held up a key which looked like it was perfectly fitted for the bird-door ahead of us. I grinned and said "Good thinking, saves me the trouble."

Ethan then added "Yeah, got this as well. With the way things are, we need all the firepower we can get." He passed a weapon to me and I will admit, I was left surprised when I saw what he'd given me was a GRENADE LAUNCHER!

Image of a Grenade Launcher:

I held the launcher up and inspected it

I held the launcher up and inspected it. My enthusiasm only increased when I spotted some INCENDIARY rounds in the barrel, the perfect substitute for the flamethrower in this situation. Turning to Ethan I said "Smart. But we'd best get going. Sooner we get this serum the better."

Ethan nodded in agreement, he had the flamethrower and shotgun over each shoulder and I held onto the grenade launcher. We began making out way up the steps once more, towards the door. When the unexpected happened.

Seemingly completely out of no where, Marguerite appeared once again, right in front of us at the top of the stairs! It was like she'd found a way past us without us noticing! With a psychotic tone in her voice she screamed "I TOLD YOU TO STAY OUT OF HERE!"

First she grabbed Ethan, throwing him down the stairs causing him to hit the solid wood below us. I barely had time to react saying "What the f-?" before I was cut off by her screaming "I WON'T HAVE THAT LANGUAGE IN MY HOUSE!" I was then also shoved down the stairs!