Chapter 7: Attempted Escape, the Wheelchair in the Corner

Y/N POV

I sat upright on the bed, my hands clasped on either side of my head. It had been about three hours since Jack had locked me in here for 'being disruptive and rude towards the family'. This wasn't the first time he'd done this either.

Almost three years had passed since I had first been found by the Bakers. Since then I'd been granted a gift, a gift which came at a steep cost. My mind was completely fractured, sometimes I would act normal and at others I was forced to become a monster.

And SHE had full control over when this happened.

Eveline or 'Evie' as she liked being called decided she wanted me to be her uncle. I remembered Mia's note and knew she was the cargo on the ship that had broken out and taken over the entire Baker family aside from Zoe who ever since that night was left on the run from her own family.

My eyes shifted around frantically, I'd been in situations like this before. A number of times I had attempted to find Mia and escape. Not too long ago though Mia had just vanished after resisting Evie's desire for her to be her mother.

I got up from the bed and began ransacking the place. One thing about this house was that there seemed to be secret passages, buttons and switches all over the place. While I didn't find anything like that in this room, I did find something of use to me.

As I was rummaging through the drawers, I shifted some old clothes and came across a single lockpick, resting at the bottom. A grin spread across my face as I commented "Awfully convenient but I'll take you."

Image of the Lockpick:

It seemed too good to be true, that there would be a lockpick right here, hidden in this room that Jack happened to lock me in

It seemed too good to be true, that there would be a lockpick right here, hidden in this room that Jack happened to lock me in. Even so, I couldn't pass up this opportunity to escape. With the pick in hand, I slowly approached the door.

Sticking the tip into the lock, I twiddled faintly until I heard a click. I gave the door a faint push, allowing it to slip open. The pick dropped to the ground with a faint tap. I stepped out of it and once more found myself on a long corridor within the main house.

Over the last few years I had managed to memorise the overall layout of the property and instantly began making my way towards the centre of the house. A meal time must have concluded recently as I'd heard a commotion not too long ago. It didn't matter to me.

The Baker family kept bringing in guests and feeding them their special Mold-covered foods. These guests never lasted long, before Jack would freak out and end up killing them sometimes even devouring them as well. I'd only met a few of them, a man named Clancy Jarvis was a recent example of this and of course, much like the others he disappeared shortly after our encounter. I assumed the the commotion was just another of those incidents.

I continued through the house, making my way around the upper floors until I finally arrived in the hall. I wasted no time heading towards that very same door I exited three years ago, where I found that trailer.