Chapter 74: The New Soldat, Heisenberg's Test

Y/N POV

Now that my dealings with the Duke had been concluded, it was just a matter of figuring out where to go next. The fact that I was now certain Ethan was here complicated things. I had no idea where he'd ended up or whether he was safe.

It seems Heisenberg had also extended the same offer to him as well and while I was in a struggle, weighing the pros and cons along with my own personal distrust of the Lord. Ethan on the other hand must have flat-out declined. A fact that didn't sit well with Heisenberg.

This raised a few matters about morality. If I'd have agreed to Heisenberg's offer, would that have been a bad decision? Was there fine-print as it were that I wasn't aware of? Or was Ethan just rushing into it too quickly and not thinking properly, jeopardising our chance at a powerful ally against Miranda. I guess it really boiled down to the angle you looked at it.

Even so, I couldn't dwell on that. For now, my priority had to be finding Ethan and getting the hell out of here! I assume if he was here, he'd already got the final flask. With that we'd finally be able to save Rose and leave this wretched place behind for good.

The lift the Duke had been in wasn't working, several of the panels were either missing or unresponsive. Because of this, I left, perhaps there'd be a way to fix them along the way. I wasn't sure.

I made my way towards one of the doors near the lift. More specifically I chose to go through the smaller of the two leading up towards another path. As I walked down it, I was surprised when suddenly I heard Heisenberg's voice over the speakers, just like before.

"She took me. Took us. To be her children. She locked us away in the village. Decades of being forced to serve her. Can you even understand that humiliation? I'm not like my siblings. I want nothing more than to be free of that bitch, unlike Donna I don't need a hand-out to do so. I need power. I need enough power to destroy her. These are the the fruits of my power. The strong will destroy the weak, that's the way of the world! You should have never refused me Ethan! And I hope you've learned to see reason Y/N!"

I don't know how long he'd been broadcasting, had he intended for both of us to hear that message? Highly likely given how he'd addressed both of us. It did confirm what the Duke had said, Ethan WAS  here and had made the fatal mistake of rejecting Heisenberg. This would leave my hands tied if I was asked again to join this little plot.

After walking for a few minutes I arrived at yet another annoying junction. The path I was on turned right however just before that, I saw yet another lift. I briefly stepped inside to have a look. There were only two buttons available, like many of the lifts I'd found in the village. A button for up, and a button for down.

The button for down wasn't lit up, that only left the UP button. I figured it would be best to inspect wherever this lift lead to. I pushed the button allowing the metal gate to shut before I ascended.

The trip was quiet, yet short, the lift soon coming to a stop as the gate opened up. I stepped out finding that I was in what appeared to be some sort of warehouse room, similar to the very first room I'd woken up in. This one however seemed to be sparsely populated with a few crates and other containers dotted here and there.

The room was quite dark, with the exception of a few lights hanging overhead that didn't particularly give me much to see. I did note the previously mentioned crates as well as a metal walkway directly above us. This place made me uneasy, it seemed to be the perfect place for an ambush.

And sure enough, as I walked, I heard the screeching noise of the speakers turning on, followed by an all too familiar voice echoing through speakers. "Well well, I'm impressed you managed to make it this far Y/N, and it's a good thing you did as well."