Chapter 79: Chris' Explanation, A Secret Weapon

Y/N POV

I emerged from the cold water, gasping for air. Off to the side, I noticed a concrete jetty of sorts which I instantly scrambled my way over to it and managed to climb my way out. Almost straight after, I heard Ethan gasping and turned around to see him climb up after me.

For a moment, we just caught our breath, before Ethan commented "So, we've got that to deal with now." I nodded, a bit shaken up from the cold water as I said "Looks that way." I regained my composure soon and added "Still, we need to keep moving. We have to stop Heisenberg before his plan comes to fruition."

Ethan agreed and we both got to our feet. We looked around for a next step. However there were no other paths. Looking up, there was no way of getting back to where we'd come from. Ethan muttered "That bastard, damnit again!"

While there were no more paths, there was one route off this platform, a small vent with a metal grating over the top of it. I knelt down and wasted no time ripping the grating from its place, just as I had done when escaping the Soldats during my first encounter with them.

Single file, we made our way through the vent arriving in a much larger room, we seemed to be in a boxed off corner of the room though, with debris all around us. Right ahead was a slanted slab of metal that we both approached.

Together, we managed to lift the slab up, clearing our path into the pitch dark, but also clearly open room. Funnily enough, there was something familiar about this place. We walked forward before freezing when we heard something move in the darkness ahead.

Me and Ethan each raised our handgun, preparing to face whoever, or whatever, it could be. That's when a hand reached out, grabbing Ethan's gun snapping "Gimme that!" Due to their close proximity, their face was revealed to be that of CHRIS.

I sighed in relief however Ethan continued to struggle out of his grip. Chris quickly elbowed him to the ground and spoke in a serious tone "I told you to leave it alone Ethan! And you should have listened to me Y/N!" He held up Ethan's gun and dropped the ammo cartridge out of it as he added "You're both in the way."

Ethan spat "What do you care Chris? You killed my wife you son of a bitch!" I facepalmed, muttering "Ethan..." Chris cut me off by asking "You think I killed Mia? That wasn't her!" He turned his back to us, looked down. "It was Miranda."

He flipped a switch and around us the lights all turned on. I was surprised to find myself in that same storage room as before, the one where my time in the factory had begun. It seems I'd managed to go around in a metaphorical circle.

Chris began explaining "She's a bioweapon, she changed her appearance and pretended to be Mia. I already told Y/N. Seems she also survived being shot, so I'm here to finish the job." Even after that open confession, Ethan wasn't having it though.

Stepping forward, he began "Bullshit, why didn't you tell me right away?!" Chris spun around snapping "Because I knew you'd want to be involved! And this job is hard enough without civilians getting in the way! At least Y/N possesses scientific knowledge that could help him potentially outwit these monsters."

I remained silent, stepping closer as Ethan got to his feet again, asking "Why us Chris? What the hell is going on?" It was here that is seemed both Ethan and Chris were finally willing to be cooperative with one another, I just listened to their exchange.

"Alright Ethan, alright. I guess I owe you both an explanation. Hand me that wrench." He pointed to a wrench near what appeared to be some kind of makeshift tank of sorts. I reached out and grabbed it, passing it to him.

Chris went over to the machine and began working on it. As he did so, he explained "A long story short, Miranda's fucking insane. And this village, all those monsters and freaks, this is her life's work. Some sort of crazy experiment with the Mold."

Ethan stated "The Mold, like Louisiana." I added "So, there was a connection. It makes sense now." Ethan spoke sadly "All this time, I thought I could save my family. I can't escape from here, I can't do anything!"

I said "Ethan, don't worry." Suddenly, the engine of the tank roared and Chris said "That may not be entirely true." He threw something over to us, it appeared to be a phone with a photo displayed on it.

Chris explained "My men sent those pictures a few minutes ago." Ethan instantly noted "Miranda." Chris just said "Keep looking." Sifting through the list of pictures, I couldn't tell what was happening until we reached one.

It showed all four flasks, together, Miranda stood in front of them. I knew what this meant, as did Ethan as he exclaimed "Rose! Holy shit! We've gotta go!" Chris reassured us "Relax, my men are monitoring the situation."

Ethan yelled "But they have my daughter!" Chris looked at him coldly "You don't get it Ethan, you and Y/N don't stand a chance against Miranda by yourselves." He reached up to the tank and fired its cannon into a gate, destroying it!

Turning his attention back to us, he told us "I will stay down here and finish planting explosives. You two take that elevator, I'll meet you both top-side. I promise you both, we will get your daughter and niece back, together."

Ethan nodded "Damn straight we will! And when I find Miranda." He raised his handgun and clicked it, saying "She's a dead woman." Chris smiled with approval at the statement, as did I Chris gave us more instructions.

"Alright Ethan, you two take this, and do my a favour, try to stay under the radar." Our attention finally turned to the makeshift tank. It was a large yellow contraption put together from an assortment of vehicle parts.

It had two seats, one dedicated to movement and one devoted to a cannon on one side and a chainsaw blade on the other. Turning to Ethan I asked "So, you drive, I'll shoot?" Ethan sighed "Yeah, whatever, I just want this over and done with."

Image of the Tank:

I placed a hand on his shoulder, calmly saying "Hey, we'll get Rose back

I placed a hand on his shoulder, calmly saying "Hey, we'll get Rose back. We'll deal with Heisenberg, then Miranda and then we can just head on home. Okay?" He nodded silently, getting into the drivers seat.

Before I mounted the gunner seat, I turned to Chris. I had something I needed to tell him. "Chris." He turned to look at me, I didn't know how he'd take this, but I needed to tell him regardless.

"One of Miranda's lords, Beneviento is still alive." Chris' eyes went wide for a moment before narrowing as he asked "Why? Why would you let her live?" Ethan muttered "I asked the same thing." I justified. "I made a call, gave her a chance. I just ask that you do the same. When the BSAA make their move, promise me she won't be harmed."

Chris thought for a moment, taking in my request before finally sighing, nodding and replying "Okay, I'll get the word out to my men." I smiled, thanked him and finally climbed into the gunners seats.

I rested my hands on the triggers for both the chainsaw and cannon as I grinned and said "We're locked and loaded!"

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, the next one will have that final battle with Heisenberg, after that we'll have two chapters both of which will be interesting but one in particularly, may be quite sad. Anyway, we are likely in the final stretch of the book now. It all depends on if I think the Rose DLC is suitable to include. I really hope you enjoy what's to come and as always, thank you for reading.