Chapter 51: The Fate of Rose

Y/N POV

The castle was behind us now. Lady Dimitrescu was dead. I'd decided to keep hold of the crystallised statuette that remained of her. I'd noted the similarities from hers and her daughter's deaths to that of the Mold, perhaps once we'd finally got Rose back and escaped this place, I'd be able to study the statuette and come to a conclusion.

There was also that strange flask baring what I believed was the insignia of House Dimitrescu. Ethan picked that up and from there we were free to exit the chapel, leaving Dimitrescu's body behind and heading out into the snow outside.

(I might a light blunder in the last chapter, thinking the door lead directly into a cave. I've gone back and fixed that.)

Stepping outside, I shivered lightly at the cold. Walking we found a drawbridge leading back to the castle however there was nothing we could use to lower it at this end. Shortly after, we came to a wooden door with two torches on either side.

There was a lock on the door however I just stated "Stand back." Raising my handgun, I fired, shooting the lock off its hinge and causing the door to open from the force revealing a dark cave behind it. 

The two of us slowly began to make our way into the darkness. Keeping our handguns at the ready since we still needed to find ammo for our other guns. We kept going, paddling through a narrow pool of water.

Emerging from the water, we found ourselves at a staircase that was once more lit by torches. Ahead of us we saw a door and I could just about make out the sound of chanting, as we drew closer, I began to pick up on what was being said.

"Great ones. Here our voice together as one in reverence. Be called on thee, within the endless dark to deliver us into fate's hands. As the midnight moon rises on black wings, so we make the sacrifice. And await the light at the end. In life, and in death, we give glory Mother Miranda."

This kept up as we approached a small wooden door, pushing it open we found ourselves met with that strange hag we'd seen in the village, she stood in front of an altar, repeating the chant over and over to herself.

Me and Ethan approached, standing directly behind her as Ethan said "Hey, remember us? We almost died up in that castle. Tell us, what is going on around here?" The old woman turned, giving us a blank expression before she slowly tilted her head and asked "How can a man be 'almost' dead? That's a question for the wise."

Ethan sternly snapped "You know what I mean, and I still haven't found Rose. Where did Mother Miranda take her?" The hag let out a laugh before replying "You're both too late! Or maybe 'almost' too late?"

At this point I had lost my patience as I snapped "Enough games! Answer the damn question!" The hag gave me a stern glare "The child will be sacrificed, life for life." Ethan commented "What kind of sick medieval shit is this? She's just a baby!"

The old woman stepped towards a giant stone carving on the wall. There were four crests surrounding the outside, one of which I recognized as the insignia of House Dimitrescu. In the second was a pillar or something like that and underneath, quite small, I saw something that made my eyes narrow. A logo that resembled that of Umbrella, but why would that be here? It had to be some strange coincidence.

Image of the carving: