53 • something i never thought i'd do • 53

"It's been too long —" Someone's voice got mixed up in the haze as I felt my eyes flutter, "— why hasn't she woken up yet?"

Their voice was fleeting, but I used it to ground me to try and focus on what was within the haze. As I tried to perceive what I was surrounded by, I heard a constant beat that was like background music. Seemingly, it had a fixed place ; everywhere and nowhere. Yet, the constant noise, taunted my ears in a way that made me want to disconnect the speakers.

The constant beat almost made me let  out a groan. I wanted to switch it off, but my body hadn't quite woken up enough to figure out what the sound was or where it was really coming from.

At first, I thought it must be my alarm clock, but as I slowly came out of the haze, I realised it wasn't the same kind of beeping myalarm clock made.

It was only when my eyelids fluttered open that I started to piece together my surroundings. Everything was white — crisp white, almost blinding white.  Nothing was golden here, it was crude.

As my eyes adjusted to the light, I painfully craned my neck and saw some sort of machine to my right.  I was in a hospital room. The machine besides me was that machine —  I didn't know the name of —that was recording my heartbeat.

"You're awake." I heard someone say, their voice sounded like a breath of relief.

My eyes darted in the direction of where the voice had come from and I realised it belong to my mother. My Mom had been stood by the window. Rays of light was flooding in through it, shining a light on how tired she looked.

Having visited her office when she was stressed over a big case she was working on, I knew she tends to look out of the window when stressed and anxious. It was as if she  hoped that looking outside would give her peace of mind. However, as she looked at me, I wasn't hopeful it had worked for her this time.

"God, Charlotte. You know how to scare the hell out of me." My Mom said, coming over to me. I was instantly engulfed in a hug. My Mom wrapped her arms around me almost desperately. I let her hug me and I slowly returned the hug.

I still wasn't quite sure what had happened. My mind was so hazy,

My Mom pulled away from me. She rested one hand on my shoulder as the other held my cheek in the palm of her hand.

"I'm so glad you're okay." She said, lifting her hand from my cheek and tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear.

I gave her a small smile. "I'm fine." I replied, ignoring the way my body was aching.

"Shame," Someone said, causing my attention to shift away from my Mom and land on Harry. "I was hoping I could have your room, it's got a better view than mine."

Harry flashed me a charming  amused smile as he pushed himself off of the wall he'd been leaning on and came and stood besides me.

I felt a smile creep its way onto my face as I met his hazel eyes. Warmth filled Harry's eyes as he looked at me, relief was washing him, washing him clean from all the worry that had caused the  dark circles under his eyes.   I playfully rolled my eyes at his comment and scoffed. If my Mom wasn't here right now, I would have pointed out that at least Harry's room still has the vines, but I managed to stop myself before I made my Mom aware of my past antics.