Chapter 8 - The Police

The front door of the building was not locked at all!

In other words, Bowen and the entire police station were all fooled by this judge!

If Bowen had pushed the door directly instead of smashing the glass when he first arrived downstairs, then he could have easily survived!

If the police had not broken through the side door but tried to break through the front door, then they could have saved Bowen!

However, none of them did. The judge deliberately left such a big hole in the unlocked front door, as if it was to tease and mock all of them!

Such a simple thought trap easily fooled everyone. All the strange and abnormal events that Bowen encountered at the beginning made them subconsciously choose to completely believe the judge’s words.

This was not the most ironic part.

According to the information provided by the doctor after the incident, it was impossible to accurately predict how many minutes the victim had until he would lose the ability to move. Moreover, when Bowen drank the water, there was no scale to measure how much he drank.

The judge’s countdown was meant to pressure Bowen psychologically. If the judge had not made a countdown or if Bowen had chosen not to listen, then he would have been able to continue moving for a few minutes, and he would not have died so early!

A fake countdown? An unlocked main door?

The policemen felt humiliated as they pondered on their incompetence. They looked extremely gloomy.

After that, the search of the building was completed. The bodies of both Bowen and Little Bowen were sent to the forensic department for an examination. The bottle of water from which Bowen drank, the knife that was used to cut open Little Bowen’s stomach, the iron box, and all other evidence were sealed and taken away for examination.

Meanwhile, at One Police Plaza, the headquarters of the New York Police Department, the officers were discussing what had transpired and how it affects them.

“You guys…”

In the conference room, Chief Superintendent Terrence’s expression was ugly. He wanted to say something, but he did not know what to say. He had been a police officer for so many years, but he had never been humiliated like that. He had never lost such a person.

“What do you want me to say? So many people have been played by a criminal! If you’re not embarrassed about this whole fiasco, well I am! The entire United States—no, the whole world—now knows how stupid we New York police officers are!”

Terrence snorted and continued, “Fortunately, the judge didn’t mention this during the live broadcast. If he did, we’ll be the biggest joke of the century!”

At the mention of this matter, everyone at the scene fell silent and lowered their heads.

At that moment, Chief Theodore stood up and looked at Chief Superintendent Terrence.

“Chief, I didn’t handle this matter properly. It has nothing to do with anyone else. I should be the one in charge. I’m willing to accept the punishment!”

Someone then stood up and spoke. “Chief Theodore cannot be entirely blamed for this matter. It happened too suddenly and within a limited amount of time. We could have easily fallen into the trap of the murderer. Moreover, we can see that this so-called judge has a very high IQ. He deliberately left the front door unlocked. He is extremely confident. Not only is he an expert in psychology, but he also has a very high anti-detection ability. There was not a single clue left at the scene. Even the sound of the live broadcast was specially handled. I suggest that you hand this case over to the Special Operations Bureau. The bureau is more experienced in handling such complex crimes.”