What I Left Behind- Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Blake's POV

Insane was an understatement of how this feeling was. The crowd was going crazy as the game was at halftime. The bleachers were filled up with families and friends. We were up by two touchdowns, which was average for our boys. Drew was doing amazing as quarterback but his offensive line was slacking a little. Something was up with Ethan that's for sure. He wasn't playing his best lately. Probably from the scouts and his scholarship. He had so much pressure on him but he handled it better than anyone can.

 "COME ON DREW!!" Charlie yelled as the football team re-entered the field.

 "Let's go boys!!!" I yelled as well cheering for them.

 We watched for a little while they played, "Ethan's a little dull today." Charlie shouted over to me so I could hear her over the screaming fans. Dull was an understatement. He was playing terribly.  

 Just then, Drew called a play and threw the ball for Ethan to catch, only having him be tackled hard to the ground by the opposing teams defensive linemen. I flinched. Whenever I'd see Ethan or Drew get tackled, a lump would form in the back of my throat until they got back on their feet. My heart stopped.

Ethan wasn't getting up.

The whole crowd got quiet in a heartbeat. He laid there on his back, no movement. I watched as Coach Moore ran to Ethan with our school's athletic trainer by his side. I saw them speaking to Ethan. What was going on? I saw Coach Moore speak into his walkie-talkie.

 I saw Ethan's mom and dad run to the field but was pushed away from the team's coaches. Drew was sitting on the turf right beside Ethan looking as worried as ever. I was motionless. All I felt was nerves and my blood rush spike. The lump in my throat was only getting tighter and tighter.

"BLAKE!" Charlie shouted at me pulling me out of my trance.

I didn't say anything. I just looked at her, "My god Blake, come on!" She said pulling me down the steps of the bleachers.

We got down to the field but were blocked from moving past the gates onto the field because of the fifty million people who thought they had a right to not let me see my best friend. I heard the medics come and everyone including I were waiting to see what was going on with Ethan.

I kept fighting the person that was pushing me away from getting near him.

"ETHAN!" I shouted knowing it was no use.

Lauren, Ethan's mom, came up to the man who was pushing me away from the gates, "It's okay, let her and Charlie in." She said with her voice shaking.

I didn't wait for anyone, I ran as fast as I could to Ethan. It seemed like forever to reach him but I finally did, "How is he?" I asked Coach Moore. Drew's eyes went wide but kept quiet. Drew was never scared. That's something him and Ethan had in common. They never showed fear, until now. Drew looked paler than a ghost.

"Drew, what the hell is going on?!" I asked him.

"I, I don't know." Drew mumbled.

I stared at him, feeling my eyes get wide. "What the hell do you mean, you don't know?" I asked feeling the tears starting to make their way up to my eyes.

I crouched down next to Ethan just as the medics came.

"Ethan, wake up. Come on, don't scare me like this." I said with my voice cracking in between words and shaky hands.

I tangled my hand in his, "The medics are here and they're going to help you but you need to help them first. Wake up Ethan." I said whispering in his ear stroking his cheek.