What I Left Behind- Chapter 55

Chapter 55

Blake's POV

I wasn't sure exactly what month it was but what I knew for sure was that it was no longer summer.

The hot air had turned breezy with every passing day and leaves started to fall heavily off the trees.

People had started putting up their Halloween decorations signaling that if anything, it was the end of September.

I had gone back to work about a few weeks ago and it had been the perfect distraction.

Ethan and I had seemed to be doing better but this time it wasn't me who felt disconnected.

I felt that Ethan didn't even want to be near me whenever I was with him.

Quite frankly, I didn't blame him.

I'd shut him out for the longest time after the miscarriage and now that I'm finally starting to regain control and a sense of normalcy for myself, I had begun to think that Ethan and I had reversed roles.

The weight in my chest seemed to be getting lighter every week but there would always be that scar.

It was about three in the afternoon when I came home. Ethan's car was parked in the driveway and I was happy to know he was home.

I walked into the house and walked over to the living room where I saw him watching TV.

"Hey." I replied softly causing him to look at me.

He gave me a weak smile and got up to kiss me lightly on my cheek.

I smiled at the gesture. I'd missed his touch and I seemed to have finally gotten over breaking down if he had touched me.

I was finally starting to crave his touch again.

"I was just going to go to the office. There are things I could do." He said before walking passed me.

Before he could get far, I got ahold of his arm and tugged on it.

"Stay." I said warmly causing him to give me a confused expression.

"Please stay." I pleaded again.

He shot me a soft smile.

I realized that I needed to be the one to speak about it first. He wouldn't bring up anything because he'd think it would hurt me. I had to do it.

I wanted to.

I wanted us to be normal again.

"I'm sorry Ethan." I said looking at his eyes.

"I'm so sorry for everything these past two months. You didn't deserve what I did to you and I was being selfish by not comforting you. I'm not the only one grieving here but I somehow lost concept of that anyways." I said trying to get closer to him.

He had a hopeful gleam in his eyes making me hurt for him. He had waited for this for who knows how long.

"I love you so much and as much as losing our baby hurts me, I know it hurts you just the same." I said softly trying to hold back a sob.

He crashed me in his arms and hugged the life out of me.

"I'm so sorry. I never wanted to hurt you." I told him crying on his shoulder.

"No, baby. Don't apologize. I love you so much and we'll get through this together I promise. We'll somehow find our way back again." He told me before pulling me away so he could look in my eyes.