What I Left Behind- Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Ethan's POV

About a few days later, I woke up to something loud. I turned over in my bed and glanced over at my phone and saw my alarm go off. Frick. School today, yay.

I was not at all up for today. I got up from my bed and went in the shower noticing that I only had a half hour left to get Blake and leave.

After showering and brushing my teeth, I put on a pair of jeans with a red short-sleeved shirt and with whatever shoes I found in my closet. I popped open a pill and took it in with one gulp. I walked out of my room and headed over to the kitchen to get something to eat before getting Blake.

"Happy Birthday!" Blake shouted at me as she ran over to me and gave me a big hug.

I smiled at her and took a look around the room and noticed it was all decorated with balloons and streamers everywhere. She must have woken really early to do all of this.

"Thanks you dork. How did you do all of this?" I asked curiously. She didn't have to do anything. I wasn't a big fan of my birthday. To me, my birthday felt like a normal day but for other people's... that's a different story.

"Don't forget that I have a spare key you silly." Blake said playfully nudging on my shoulder.

I completely forgot she had a spare. She never really used it, only for emergencies. She usually knocked because she felt like I needed privacy and she was invading it if she just barged in but that was so not the case with me. I wouldn't care if Blake came in at any time during day or night, I'd drop anything for her.

"You didn't have to do all of this you know." I said smirking at her.

"Of course I did. It's your eighteenth birthday silly!" She said giving me a kiss on the cheek. It was longer than usual, which sent tingles in my skin. Stop it Ethan.

I've managed to push away these thoughts these past couple of days, but whenever she touches me she leaves my skin burning.

"Earth to Ethan!" I heard Blake say, pulling me out of my trance.

"Yeah, sorry. You ready to go?" I asked putting my coat on.

"Yeah. Let's get going before we're late." She said smiling before she opened the door.

I quickly grabbed a protein bar and scarfed it down within seconds leaving my room towards the car.

That day at school was the same as always, just a few more people talking to me as it was my birthday but nothing out of the ordinary. I was outside at my car waiting for Blake as school just ended when my phone rang.

I looked at the caller ID, as it read unknown. That's weird.

"Hello?" I asked curiously

"Hello, is this Ethan Bradley?" The voice on the other line said.

"Yeah this is he." I responded.

"This is Chris Walkers, the commissioner of the football team here at James Madison University." The voice said. Great. I knew this was coming.

"Hello Sir. What's going on?" I asked already knowing what he wanted to talk about.

"We've heard about your last game and wanted to wish you well with everything. As you recall, your scholarship is still standing strongly. We were checking up and making sure that you felt the same." He said.

I've been preparing myself for this for a while now. It was just a matter of time that they were going to call and I would have to tell them the truth. I hated that it came sooner than I thought because now that I tell them, everything changes. Nothing in my life will be the same again not that it has been for a while now.