What I Left Behind- Chapter 15

Chapter 15 

Ethan's birthday went without a hitch, as did that week. I was so thankful for it being Friday. I was really looking forward to catching up on some sleep. I was in eighth period fashion marketing when Ms. Lavine was speaking about god knows what. I really liked her but sometimes she would ramble on and on only causing me to drift into sleep. The bell rang causing me to jerk up a little. Finally!

"Miss. Gray may I have a word with you before you leave?" Ms. Lavine said as I was putting my bag over my shoulder.

"Sure thing. What's up?" I asked curiously. I knew I wasn't in trouble or anything because no one ever was with her. She was a pretty chill teacher.

She gave me a toothy smile, "I have great news!" She said happily.

I raised my eyebrow causing her to talk even more, "Every year, a student from our school gets nominated to apply for the VOGUE internship for the summer but no one has actually received it. Now, I know what you're thinking. You must apply and wait to see blah blah blah... the good news is, I already applied for you a few months back and I received a letter addressed to you today!" She said clapping her hands like a four year old.

I was shocked. Internship for VOGUE?! That's incredible!

"I'm sorry if I overstepped anything but I couldn't help it! You're one of my best students and considering you had so much going on last month, I felt somewhat obligated." She said with her smile slowly fading.

"No, don't be! Thank you so much." I said giving her a smile.

"Open it silly girl!" She said nodding her head up and down.

I quickly tarred open the envelope and pulled out the letter that was disclosed inside.

"I got it." I said shocked. This was all way too much excitement for me.

Ms. Lavine stared at me in awe, "I knew you would! This is incredible Blake!" She said giving me a tight hug.

"Thank you so much Ms. Lavine! I'll have to talk about with my mom but this is just all so thoughtful and exciting, thank you." I said happily.

"No problem sweetheart. You're going to have such an incredible time in Paris." She said.

Paris? Did I hear that correctly?

"You said Paris?" I asked stupidly.

"Of course sweetheart. The internship is held at the VOGUE in Paris. That's why it's such an amazing internship. It's a once in a lifetime experience!"

I took a deep breath and smiled down at the envelope in my hands.

I'm going to Paris this summer.

*********************************

After ten minutes of talking to Ms. Lavine about the trip, I realized I was holding up Ethan again for the second time this week and speed walked to the car.

I saw him leaning up against his car as usual talking to one of his friends.

"Sorry I'm late again." I said getting in the car.

"Not a problem. What's with the blushing?" He asked pinching my cheeks.

I tickled him causing him to chuckle, "No one's blushing its cold outside and my cheeks are red." I said crossing my arms across my chest.

 "Whatever Wendy." He said referring to the logo at Wendy's. Ha ha, soo funny.

I got home and made dinner for Ethan and I, as my mom wouldn't be home late tonight. Drew, Charlie and Wesley came over and ate with us.  Although I wasn't close to Wesley, I tolerated him for the sake of Charlie. It's not like I had anything against him, I just get a weird vibe around him so I keep my distance. The boys on the other hand have grown accustomed to him. Charlie and him have finally made it exclusive and so they were officially together.

Wesley's phone rang off causing him to leave the room. Drew flicked through the channels and put on a movie we could watch. Wesley ran back into the room a few minutes later looking like he was about to pee in his pants.

"Guess what?!" He said all jumpy.

We all raised our eyebrows in curiosity. 

"What baby?" Charlie said patting the spot for him to sit next to her.

He did as directed and began talking, "That was the football commissioner from JMU and they're offering me a full ride!" He said happily. My eyes immediately flicked to Ethan, knowing that he gave Wesley that scholarship.

He looked at Wesley seriously for a few seconds before a small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. His smile didn't meet his eyes though, which told me that he was upset.

"Oh my god! Congratulations baby!" Charlie said giving him a big kiss on his lips.

They made out for a few minutes causing me to shift uncomfortably in my seat. I moved from that lounge to sit beside Ethan and Drew. 

"There's only so much PDA a person can handle." I said making them chuckle.

About an hour later, Wesley went home leaving just us four hanging out.

A commercial about water rafting came on to the TV causing Drew's attention to only focus on that, "See that's what we need to do this summer." He said.

"That looks so much fun!" Charlie said.

I giggled, "Well if we do it, let's do it the weekend after school get outs." I said.

"They say it's better during mid July. Why so picky on dates princess?" Drew asked.

I couldn't hold in my excitement any longer on my trip to Paris this summer. I felt as if I were about to explode.

"This girl is going away for the summer." I said feeling a huge grin spread across my face. I felt Ethan's body shift under mine. He just starred at me confused.

"What are you talking about?" Charlie asked.

"I was offered an internship at VOGUE today and it looks like I'm going to take it." I responded.

"Hell yeah you are!" Drew said tickling the life out of me.

"OH MY GOD! That's amazing B!" Charlie said giving me a tight hug.

I looked at Ethan who gave me a huge smile, a genuine one.

"I couldn't be more happier for you Lover Girl." He said giving me tight bear hug.

"Thank you." I responded playfully punching him in the gut.

"So where is this internship, California, New York?" Charlie asked.

"Paris." I said waiting for her reaction.

Her jaw dropped, "You are SO lucky!" She said throwing her arms up in the air showing her enthusiasm.

"How long?" Ethan asked, causing his facial expression to change instantly.

"For one month." I responded, coming to realization that I wont be able to see any of my friends for that long.

Holy Crap. This is the longest I'll be without them in years. One month without Drew, Charlie, and Ethan. One month without Ethan.

Four weeks without my best friend... holy shit that's a long time.

I felt my ten minutes of happiness come to shatter as the feeling of distance starting to cloud over me. I hated being away from those who I loved. I always have. The distance with my father was enough but now this! I guess it'll all be worth it though. It's Paris!

"It'll be the fastest month ever." He said reassuringly.

As if everything came flooding to me in a series of waves, the feeling of change was quickly approaching and I knew it. It was just a matter of time now.