What I Left Behind- Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Blake's POV 

The flight went by incredibly slow. I wasn’t aware of anything by the time we landed. I was completely dysfunctional and out of it. Once the pilot announced that it was ok to get up and leave, I was the last one to leave from first class. My mind wasn’t with me.

I grabbed my handbag from beneath my chair and tossed it over my shoulder. The pilots and flight attendants waved goodbye to me and gave me a weak smile. I nodded and made my way down the tunnel.

I made my way around the airport to get to baggage claim with hundreds of people staring at me. I decided to go to the restroom to freshen my face up before I met up with my father.

I placed my bag on the counter and glanced at myself in the mirror. I almost didn’t recognize myself from my tear-streaked face. My eyeliner was smeared all around my eyes and it left a trail down my face along with my tears.

There goes the answer on the stares I’ve been receiving. I don’t blame them. I looked like straight utter shit.

After I cleaned my face up and looked a little more presentable, I gathered my bags and made my way out.

I headed to the baggage claim where I was directed to from my flight when I spotted a man with a wide grin plastered on his face.

My insides became warm.

He walked up to me and embraced me in a big hug.

“My have you grown into a beautiful young girl. I barely even recognized you sweetheart.” He said as he placed a kiss on my temple.

“It’s good to see you too Dad.” I said hugging him back just as hard.

He pulled away and was still smiling. He looked thinner than the last time and his green eyes were even greener. His brown hair was styled casually and he was wearing a suit, which let me know that he came from work. My dad looked very fit making me quite surprised he didn’t have a line of girls asking for his number. My daddy was very handsome for his age.

“Let’s go get your bags and head on out. We have a lot to catch up on.” He said swinging his arm across my shoulder. I hugged his side tightly, feeling safe for the first time in the past seven hours.

********************************************

“She doesn’t look the same as you remember her to. She’s thinner, her voice trembles more frequently, she shakes, and her whole body is weak. But she still is the same person on the inside.” He said giving me a sad smile. We were talking about Nana as we drove home.

“She doesn’t have a lot of time left dad, does she?” I asked not sure why I asked him. I didn’t want to hear the answer.

He looked at me with his face full of sadness. “No sweetheart she doesn’t. But we have to be strong for her. She hasn’t cracked one bit so we can’t either. Can you do that for me Blake? I need you to be there for her.” My Dad asked.

“Of course I’m going to be there for her. It’s going to be hard, really hard not to break but I’ll try my best.” I said turning my head away from him to look out the window. My dad’s Audi was gliding through Oceanside.

“How’s school been treating you? You like Madison?” My Dad asked trying to make small talk.

I bit my lip, “It’s good. Charlie my best friend is an extremely fun person so there’s always something to do for us.” I said realizing how much I already missed her.

He smirked at me as I lifted my gaze back to him.

“And the boy?” He asked catching me by surprise.