What I Left Behind- Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Ethan’s POV

I woke up with a headache. Not a bad one as I suspected but it was enough for me to know that I drank a lot last night.

I was well aware of everything that happened yesterday. I have no idea why Blake thought I was drunk when I said what I said to her but I wasn’t. I was more than sober. It wasn’t until after I realized that I really lost her that I went to the nearest bar and drank endlessly.

I turned over to my side and noticed that Victoria wasn’t in bed.

Thank god.

She was the last person I wanted to see right now.

It wasn’t until I heard some shuffling of some sort outside my room that made me second-guess my wishes.

“Ethan Bradley, get your stupid ass out here, right now!” I heard a voice scream that was not Victoria’s.

I went over to my dresser and took two Advil’s and put on a t-shirt and shorts before I made my way out into my living room.

I walked and saw a very pissed of Charlie standing in the middle of the my room looking like she wanted to beat the shit out of something.

“Let me guess. You’re here so you can yell at me at how this is all my fault.” I said walking to refrigerator to get some water.

“Shut the hell up Ethan. This very well is your fault!” She shouted as she slammed the refrigerator door.

“Did she tell you anything?” I asked surprised. Blake was never one to say anything. She was the most secretive person I knew but if Charlie did know, then that would mean that it isn’t a big deal to her. Blake only kept things to herself if they were really bad.

“No she didn’t tell me squat but when I hear my best friend crying all night long and it isn’t because of her grandmother, there’s only one other thing that would be the reason.” She said with wide eyes.

She’d been crying all night? My chest tightened thinking about it. God I’d do anything to not see or hear about her crying.

I thought that by saying I love you to her would make her open up to me but she didn’t. She was stone cold.

If anything I found out from yesterday, it was that she thought that I was happy with Victoria.

She didn’t even know the real reason why I was with her, no one did.

I knew it was wrong what I was doing but I couldn’t break it off with Victoria. After hearing her talk about losing her family in a fire a few years ago, I felt nothing but pity for her. I couldn’t tell her that I didn’t want to be with her, I felt bad for the girl.

“Is she okay?” I managed to say to Charlie as I sat down on the stool.

“No Ethan! She’s far from it! I don’t understand why you have to hurt her. She’s trying to be happy for you and let you go but all you do is lead her on. You’re being selfish!” She shouted at me.

“You think that she’s the only one hurting right now?” I replied pissed off.

“How the hell are you hurting Ethan? You’re engaged to someone else. Someone OTHER than Blake! Everyone and their damn mothers know that you two are still in love with each other, why are you denying it? I see the look in your eyes when you’re with bitchtoria and it doesn’t even compare to how you look at Blake. There isn’t an ounce of love you have for her and you know it.” She said angrily.

“She deserves better than me Charlie. I’m a f*** up and I screwed everything between us. I can’t just end things with Victoria. It’s much harder than it seems. But I’m not denying I love her. I do love her but I can’t be with her or I’ll break Victoria.” I replied running my fingers in my hair.