What I Left Behind- Chapter 36

This chapter is dedicated to my grandma. The song on the side couldn't have fit the scene(s) more perfectly and I want to share it with you all.

I hope you all enjoy.

Chapter 36

Blake’s POV

It had been almost two months since Charlie and Drew’s visit and only one major thing happened.

I had feared the day but I knew that it was going to happen. The doctor told Nana that she was now at stage 4 and that she had a maximum of two months left.

I refused to believe it. I couldn’t accept it. Nana was slowly giving up and we all knew it. She was fighting but she wasn’t fighting as strongly.

“Greg sweetie, can I have some time with Blake alone for a little?” Nana said stuttering even more.

“Yeah mom. I’ll be right outside if you need Grace or me.” He said before leaving the room with Grace by his side.

“I’ll leave you guys alone.” Chase said before following Grace and my Dad outside.

“What is it Nana?” I asked confused.

“Sweetheart. You and I both know that I don’t have much time left-“

“Don’t talk like that Nana. Please don’t say things like that.” I interrupted.

She gave me a sad smile, “I have to sweetie because this is life. We can’t deny or reject what’s happening. We have to deal with it and accept it no matter how much we don’t want to. Now don’t you dare interrupt me again my sweet girl. I need to speak with you and it’s very important.” Nana said putting her hand on top of mine.

I felt my face become drained of emotion. I was so sad for her. I hated to see her like this.

“Okay.” I said playing with her gorgeous ring on her finger. It looked so modern that I was surprised that my grandfather would pick out such a ring. It was different than I remembered it to be, much different. It had diamonds going all through the band until it reaches the middle where a huge squared rock was. It looked extremely expensive and brought me to surprise at just how breathtaking it was.

“Wait Nana, before you say anything. When did you put your ring on? And why does it look different than I last remember?” I asked.

She looked down at her ring and smiled, “Your grandfather bought me this ring right before he passed three years ago. I lost my other ring and he bought me this one the next day. And I don’t wear it anymore because of how big it is now and how small my fingers have become but I decided that I wanted to wear it today. You have good memory my sweet girl.” My Nana said smiling at me.

“Sorry I just couldn’t help but wonder.” I said.

“Soon, you’ll have a ring like this on your finger sweetie. Some day.” She said beaming.

“Oh I don’t think I’ll ever have a gorgeous ring like yours. And surly not anytime soon.” I responded.

“You will, I know it. You are a beautiful and smart girl and if Ethan Bradley doesn’t realize it now, he will soon. No man in this world is stupid enough to let a woman like you go.” She said catching me by surprise.

I was about to speak but she lifted her hand up and interrupted me just before I could.

“I’ve seen you these few months sweetheart and you’re miserable. I’ve spoken to Chase and he’s told me nothing. I’ve spoken to your father and he gave me bits and pieces. From what I’ve heard, you seem so in love with the boy. Any love, especially your first love, is one you’ll never forget. Now if you fall in love with your best friend angel, well, that’s someone who not only you’ll never forget, but you’ll never get over. I know this because of your grandfather and my oh my was he right when he told me this. I wouldn’t ever picture myself with another man, I can’t. He’s my other half like Ethan is yours.” She said before controlling her breathing.