What I Left Behind- Chapter 52

Chapter 52

Blake's POV

"Mrs. Blake Bradley?" I heard someone call my name.

I looked up at the doctor and gave her the best smile I could.

I stood up and walked over to her, "Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Dr. Johnson. Is it just you today?" The friendly male asked me.

I looked at my phone and saw that there was still no response from Ethan.

I bit my lip. He was supposed to be coming but he was probably held up with his father. I understood.

"For now." I said giving him a soft smile.

He shot me a warm smile, "Okay, come with me and we'll get you started." He said leading me to a room down the hall.

"Okay just sit on this chair and we'll have some blood drawn from you to confirm if you're pregnant or not and then we'll see if we need to take a sonogram or ultrasound." He told me.

I nodded and let him draw the blood.

After a half hour, I still had no response from Ethan and I was starting to become worried. The doctor came into the room beaming.

"You're pregnant." He stated happily sitting down on the chair by mine.

I smiled at the confirmation and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Congratulations." He stated patting my shoulder.

"Thank you." I replied smiling.

"Would you like to see your baby?" He asked moving a machine closer to him.

Just then the door opened and Ethan came into the room with a flushed expression.

I instantly became happy and relieved that he was here.

"You're here." I said cheerful.

He came over and kissed my temple, "Of course I'm here. I got held up with my Dad but rushed over here as quickly as I could. I didn't miss anything did I?" He asked sitting down on an empty chair beside me and entwined his fingers with mine.

"Other than I'm really pregnant, no." I said beaming.

He shot me a huge smile and started to chuckle.

"We were just about to see if we could hear your baby's heartbeat." The doctor said squirting gel onto my belly. He then placed the machine over my belly and started to move his arms.

We both looked at the screen and saw black.

"I don't think we'll be able to hear anything since you're only seven weeks along but we can get pictures for you if you'd like." He said moving it around more.

"I'd love that, thank you." I said, not taking my eyes off the screen.

"Ah, there it is." He said pointing to a small white and black circle thing on the screen.

I felt Ethan's hand squeeze in mine.

The doctor continued to move around the machine and I was becoming anxious to see more. That little circle was a baby.

Mine and Ethan's baby.

Suddenly we started to hear something faint but it was a consistent drumming sound.

Thump, thump, thump.

"Looks like there's a heartbeat after all! Faint but it's strong for his or her size." The doctor said smiling.