What I Left Behind- Chapter 33

Although I didn't write this song into the book, I listened to it while I wrote this chapter because it is completley relatable towards Ethan's and Blake's situation.

Chapter 33

Blake's POV

“Nana? Are you okay?” I asked getting up from the sofa by her bed that’s been my bed for the last two weeks.

I looked at her and noticed that she was throwing up in a container by the bed.

I ran to the bathroom and grabbed a cloth and soaked it in cool water. I rushed back to her bed and placed it on her forehead trying to cool her down. This has been normal and expected for the past weeks. Every night around this time Nana would wake up and vomit, emptying everything out of her system.

I dreaded coming to bed every night knowing that this is what I would be expecting to happen.

I rubbed her back and noticed that this time she wasn’t just puking food but a little red.

 My heart stopped beating. What was happening? She didn’t eat anything with red in her food all day. Why is she puking up red?

I grabbed my phone and called her doctor but it went straight to voicemail. I then rang Grace’s number but it went to voicemail as well. Dad was at work now and he wouldn’t be able to get here and know what to do.

I looked for Nana’s chart that the doctor left a few days ago and read the end of it where it was directions in case something like this happened.

The patient should seek immediate medical attention if:

He/she isn’t responding to any communication

He/she isn’t waking up from sleep

He/she isn’t eating or drinking as supposed to

He/she’s is vomiting red

He/she’s blood pressure spikes

He/she has a body temperature about 99.9 degrees

He/she is shaking third to last direction and grabbed my phone.

“911 what’s your emergency?”

“My grandmother has liver cancer and she isn’t supposed to be puking this distinct color. I’m reading something off her chart and it says to seek immediate medical attention if this happens. Can we please have someone hurry?” I said all too fast.

I ran back to Nana’s bed and continued to rub her back.

“Okay sweetheart, take a deep breath. I tracked down your address and help is on the way. You said that she has liver cancer, do you know what stage?” The lady on the other line said.

“I believe stage three. She’s not supposed to be vomiting red, why is she vomiting red?” I asked helplessly, fighting back the unshed tears in my eyes.

Nana hadn’t stopped once to take a breath or relax. The vomit seemed never ending. Why wasn’t it ending? Why hadn’t it stopped! It was supposed to be over and done with by now!

“Hello? Sweetheart, are you there? Help should be there now.” The lady said bringing me back out of the million questions my head was asking.

I looked outside Nana’s window and saw flashing red lights.

“I’ll be right back Nana. Hang in there, these people will help you.” I said before running out of the room.

I opened the front door and there stood four young men with a stretcher and some bags that had supplies in them.