Chapter Thirty Six | How do Friends Act?

"Are you positive that this is a good idea? It wouldn't quite be advisable, if you were to seek my opinion." Hina said, her eyes still set on the phone.

Shindo shook his head. "Not positive. But I'm still not sure that it's a bad idea either."

It was a call out of the blue. His voice was almost unrecognizable from how long it had been since they heard his voice; about six months by then. You had gotten over it by then, but every time Kotaro's name was mentioned, you quickly but smoothly changed the subject.

Was his voice really what you wanted to hear at that time?

"Sir." One of Shindo's servants came into the room. "Your companion has arrived."

"I'll greet her myself." Shindo sighed and stood up and held out his hand. Hina stared at it for a moment before taking it and following him to the foyer.

"Um..." You began upon seeing them, your eyes darting around the foyer. "I feel underdressed.. nice fountain, by the way."

"My father had it installed a few months ago. A useless instalment if you ask me, but I can't bicker." Shindo turned and motioned for you to follow.

Hina walked next to you. "Have you never visited Shindo's estate?"

"Nah, I've always been too busy. But now that Kotaro's..." You trailed off for a moment. "I've been a bit more free."

"I see. Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll get the chance in the near future... under better circumstances." She smiled, though it was rather bittersweet, and the three of you went into Shindo's office.

Yes, office.

"He's been on hold for a while." Shindo said, his eyes travelling to the white phone on the top corner of the dark oak table. You suddenly felt a pang of dread in your chest as you stepped back. "Okay... so he's just... on hold?"

"Yeah."

You slowly picked up the phone and held it to your ear. "H-Hello...?"

There was silence on the other side for a while. You were scared he just hung up, and you took too long. But then you heard someone draw in a breath and...

"Hey, Y/N."

Your eyes widened, and for once, those eyes that were always called sapphires finally looked like a gem rather than the depths of the sea. For once, they were filled with life and not just a reflection of a spotlight.

"K-Kotaro..."

Hina gently nudge Shindo's back. "We should provide her with some privacy." He nodded in response and left with her.

You stood quietly with the phone at your ear. You didn't quite prepare for this at all.

Kotaro was like another older brother to you. Without him, you didn't quite know what to do. But, now that you had him, even if it was just a voice at the moment, you were speechless.

"I'm... sure you have a lot of questions."

You nodded, forgetting he wasn't in front of you. "Yeah, a few.. but, Shindo said you asked for me first and—"

"I asked for you since I assumed you'd ask questions."

You gripped the phone a bit tighter. "Why'd you leave without telling me anything?"

"Aha... straight to the point, huh?" There was a sigh on the other side of the line. "I didn't tell you anything because I knew what you'd do. You'd insist on giving me money to help with my mother's treatment, say it's fine that I'm not there, and never tell me anything against it."