Chapter Fifty Four | Gold

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief.
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

You stared at the poem hung on the wall. You had read a book that had it written, although you couldn't quite recall at the moment. So you just stared at it, taking in the words and how the words flowed from line to line, sentence to sentence.

Gold. A colour, viewed as an adjective? An object, its first form a rough rock found beneath the surface? A material, whether it be figurative or literal?

A golden sunset? A golden ring? A heart of gold?

*Y/N!* Langa called.

*Coming!* You did one last take on the poster before following your brother and his boyfriend out the door of the house they were planning on buying. "It's a nice house."

"Right?" Reki's grin went from ear to ear. "We should have our own garage for our skateboards!"

Miya eyes rolled. "You put a car in the garage, idiot."

"Sorry Miya, but I don't trust Langa to bring anyone anywhere in a car without them being killed or injured." You and Miya mimicked your stances, crossed arms and an unamused expression.

Joe's laugh echoed through the house. "Let's just keep their advances at a house, yeah?"

You placed your arms at your side. "Right, right. You know who to ask if you're having financial trouble."

"To think you'd ask your little sister for financial help." Cherry mumbled distastefully.

"Hard to match my pay check with a job he would actually enjoy." You said with a playful grin. "Right Miya?"

"Yeah, yeah, rich kid things."

"Hey, you're not quite the rags in rags to riches, Miya."

Shadow placed his hand on both of your heads. "Alright kids, looks like you're past your curfew."

"He just doesn't like that 16 year olds are richer than him."

"Literally."

"I CAN STILL HEAR YOU!"

•••

You poked your head into your brother's room. *Langa, is Reki coming o...ver.." You were met with boxes scattered across his bedroom, some unmade and leaning on his wall. 

A smile appeared on your face and leaned on the doorway, watching your brother trying to arrange through one of the boxes.

*Oh, Y/N!* He pulled his hands out of the box he was digging through. *Have you seen those chair wheels that I used to have on my skateboard?*

You chuckled and pointed at one of the smaller boxes. *You labelled one 'wheels', remember?*

*Oh, right.* 

You crossed your arms as you watched him begin to pack things like old snow globes and other souvenirs into one box, messily wrapped with bubble wrap so they don't break. A pillow with a stitch of both your names on it.