Chapter Seventy One | 2 Years Later

"Geez, Shindo, what's with all the homework?" Kaya picked up a page of one of Shindo's essays with her hand that wasn't around Nora's shoulders.

"It's a midterm, and you've just pointed out to me that I'm one page over the limit." Shindo took the paper from Kaya's hand and opened his laptop, which Hina closed. "Mon dieu, you do not need to complete your work now. Your paper is due next week, you needn't edit it in the current moment."

Miya sighed and glanced at the door again. "And I thought I was late."

"Yu on the other hand..." Kaya shook her head, eying his glass of wine.

Nora deadpanned, moving the glass away from her grasp. "Kaya, you turn 18 in two months, you have a ways to go."

"Which sucks." She clicked her tongue in annoyance. "If Yu doesn't come in the next five minutes, we're calling Y/N without him."

As if on queue, Yu burst through the restaurant doors. "Sorry I'm late."

"For the oldest of us, you're not very punctual." Shindo said, crossing out a sentence he deemed unnecessary from his essay. Then his pen was taken by Hina.

"How cruel..." Yu sank into his seat and watched Kaya take out her laptop. She opened it and typed in her password before frowning and looking at Shindo. "Did Kotaro email you?"

He looked away from his work, looking at her from over his glasses. "I haven't checked my emails in a bit. Should I?"

Nora leaned over to peer at Kaya's screen, mimicking her expression. "Kotaro said that Y/N's too busy to call."

"'Too busy'?" Miya lifted his head as if he had heard Kaya swear at you. "She once did an audio call in the midst of practice. What could possibly be the problem today?"

Kaya glanced back at her screen. "There's an event coming up that she needs to practice for."

"Aw man, is this because we said we have to go to Miya's birthday party and can't video call?" Yu sank even further into his chair, already tipsy from half of a wine glass, which Eiji took and put in the kitchen before sitting down at the table again.

"That's uncharacteristic of her." Eiji assured. "Maybe she's really busy this time around. After all, she never really does events, just concerts, so she might be a little more picky about this performance since it's personal."

Miya hummed, trying to agree, but still feeling conflicted about it. He put his chin on his palm, tracing his bottom lip with his pinky.

You mentioned that you only had two friends in Canada. Maybe it was something relating to your mother? Or maybe it was another celebrity that you met?

He wasn't jealous, that was for sure. He knew that you would never look at someone else.

Worried was more the word. You often pushed people away when you were having a hard time, recalling many times while you were still living in Japan.

In 2 years, you never pushed any of them away. When you were worried about Kotaro, who had gone on a date one night and didn't come back after eight hours, when you were feeling self conscious about your body shape, you told them everything.

But still...

In 2 years, you also never cancelled on them.

"At what time was the email sent?" ask Hina.

"About an hour ago." Kaya sent a disapproving glare in Yu's direction. "When we were supposed to be here."

"A rather tardy warning." Hina noted, earning a distant nod from Shindo, who quickly looked back at his work. "I am sure it is alright. As we know, Y/N is often occupied with her work."