Volume 1: Ambition

Toma Hisoka POV

We were on the bus heading to the Advanced Nurturing High School's campus, which was located on a man made island in Tokyo.

The bus was crowded, almost full actually. Ranging from the elderly up until us students of ANHS. Shizuko was laying her head on my shoulder, sleeping. Let's just hope she doesn't get disturbed, since she hasn't slept properly last night because of the excitement of a new library. Although, she's been acting listless ever since we got into a crowd..

That's so like her, she just turns reserved whenever she's around those that she doesn't trust. I need to teach her how to become more independent soon. 

"Excuse me, but shouldn't you offer up your seat?"

A young, well built young man with blond hair who was wearing our school uniform, was sitting in a priority seat. The voice was from someone that looked like an office lady, beside her was an elderly woman.

"That's a really crazy question lady. Why should I offer up my seat? There's no reason for me to do so."

"You're sitting in a priority seat, its natural to offer those up to the elderly." She replied.

"I'm a healthy young person who certainly wouldn't find standing inconvenient. However, I'd obviously expend more energy by doing so than I would do by sitting. I have no intention on doing such a pointless thing. Or are you suggesting that I should act livelier, I wonder?" The blond man rebutted, with only a single eye looking at the office lady.

"Is that supposed to be the attitude to take while talking to your superiors?" The lady said.

At this point, they'll wake Shizuko up by engaging in a pointless argument.

I looked around the bus. I met eye to eye with a boy who had brown hair, then glanced at a girl with black hair, reading a book. After a heavy sigh, I nudged Shizuko until her eyes opened.

"Shizuko, I'm gonna be standing for the rest of the ride alright?" I said in a whisper.

"Eh? Why though?" She asked.

"There's a pointless argument that's happening and i want it to stop."

"Okay then."

She moved herself away from me and towards the window. While the office lady and blond man were still arguing, I stood up and spoke.

"Please, there's no need to drag this out, just take my seat miss."

"Oh? Is that so young man? Thank you very much." The old lady said.

"Thank you for helping me out young man."

"Its fine, rather I should apologize for not acting immediately."

I helped the old lady sit down next to Shizuko, then proceeded to hold onto one of the handles provided while standing. After repositioning myself, someone spoke.

"Hey."

"Hm?

"Thanks for stepping in there! I really appreciate it."

"Oh its nothing, I just wanted for it to end. That whole argument was rather pointless to me."

"My name is Kushida Kikyou by the way, from Class 1-D. Nice to meet you!"

"Toma Hisoka, also of Class 1-D. That over there is my little sister Shizuko, 1-D as well."

"Oh, so you two are siblings! I can see the resemblance. But if she's you're little sister why are you in the same school year?"