Volume 2: There Are No Heroes

Flashback

3rd Person POV

8 year-old Toma Hisoka and his 7 year-old sister, Toma Shizuko, were currently at a police station in Tokyo.

With them were three officers, a businessman, and a detective. It was only two hours after the businessman showed up with the detective at their house, and now the kids were in this mess. 

"Now, shall we get started sir?" The detective asked. 

"But of course." The businessman said, taking a seat across the children.

Toma Shizuko was fast asleep, thanks to all the crying she did, it was understandable. Her brother could do nothing but comfort her. The news was a real shock to both of them.

"According to your report Mr. Tsukishiro, the guardian of these two children was tragically killed in a laboratory experiment by accident. Would you please care to explain the situation a bit?" 

"Are you sure about this madam detective? In front of her kids?" The businessman, Mr. Tsukishiro, asked. 

"I...I want to hear about it...please." 

Toma Hisoka was shaking as he said the words. He really didn't want to actually hear it, but for the sake of the truth, he had to. If not him, it would have to be his timid little sister, who couldn't even stand up straight once she heard the words "Your mother is dead". The boy would have to be the mature one.

At his age, its fine for him to loosen up and relax. However, things never go one's way every time, the unexpected are bound to happen. Hisoka had his suspicions, since his mother hasn't been home for longer than normal. At most she'd be gone for three days, but she hasn't come home for more than a week now.  The fact that he had to lie to his own sister when their mother didn't come home was killing him, but then the truth finally came out, from a man named Tsukishiro, someone from their mother's company. 

Toma Mizuka was dead. 

"Young man, are you absolutely sure? It'd be unfair for a child who should still be playing around outside and making friends to learn the truth of such an event."

"I don't care. What I want is to learn about what happened to my mom." The boy replied.

Tsukishiro looked at the detective, and she just reluctantly nodded. The three police officers did not intervene.

"If you insist. It went like this madam detective. From the witnesses in the area, my boss' employee as well as one of my colleagues, Toma Mizuka, was in one of our laboratories helping with a chemical experiment. She had been reaching towards a high shelf and got one of our dangerous chemicals, one that is toxic to metal and even human skin. Though she was careful to put it down onto a nearby table, she fell off the stool and banged her head. Not long after that, sharp needles which were on the surface she bumped into, pierced through her torso, eye and neck. A truly unfortunate accident." Tsukishiro explained. 

The last few words shocked Hisoka to the core. He had widened eyes, but he refused to let the tears out, not yet, not in front of all these people, not while Shizuko was defenseless.

"Yes, very unfortunate. I apologize that you had to hear all of that young man." The detective said to the boy. 

"It's...fine...I was the one to...request it." He replied, not finding the words to continue on. 

"Mr. Tsukishiro, what is the name of your company?" 

"The WR Corporation, madam."

"Right, I hope you don't mind that we get a warrant of permission to search through the crime scene?"