Volume 3: The Real Enemy

Toma Hisoka POV

It was the afternoon of the third day, and oh boy were we in trouble.

I was currently leading Ibuki out into the forest alongside Matsushita and Kushida. Hirata gave her a task to come with us in looking for food. The problem was that the leader might have been exposed to Ibuki, so I am taking this opportunity so that she can't know for sure.

"So Ike-kun told us he needed some...what did he say it was called?" Kushida pondered.

"I think he said figs. Then again, he said any fruit would do but figs are preferable." I said.

We went around the area to search, leaving me with Ibuki, just as planned. Now I would deliberately lead her towards the starting beach.

"Hey, where are we going?" She inquired.

"Looking for fruit. Why?"

"Isn't this a path that leads to the starting area?"

Okay I did not factor that into my plan. Plan B.

"It is? Well whatever, we just need to find some fruit." I feigned ignorance.

I knelt down to see fruit by me. They looked pretty decent too, and wouldn't you know it there were a few figs. I carefully picked them up and put them inside my duffel bag.

"Right, let's keep looking."

We turned left and found a fruit tree a couple of meters away. This looks like a good place to do it.

"Can you climb that tree and get all the fruit?" I asked Ibuki.

"I can climb, but I'm not really good at making sure stuff like fruit doesn't get squashed."

"Then hold the duffel, I'll do it."

I gave her the duffel bag and climbed the tree. There were lots of fruit that I actually didn't really recognize. I'm pretty sure I've read about them, but I've forgotten the names of these. I tossed them down one by one, which Ibuki was able to catch using the open bag. She looked pretty indifferent, but I know she's just acting.

"Looks like there's nothing left. I'm coming down."

I positioned myself in between the branches, then leaped off. I landed on the ground with a pretty loud thud. Okay, bad idea, my hand hurt a little from the impact.

"Let me see...I guess these should be enough. We should go back now."

"Toma-kun! Over here!"

To our right, Kushida and Matsushita appeared, as if out of nowhere. That was the signal.

"Oh hey. Did you get anything?"

"Our bag is full. You guys?" Matsushita asked.

"Full too. Let's head on back."

Ibuki started back towards our campsite. We hoped for this.

"Ibuki-san, could you hold this for a second?" Matsushita made the first move.

"Huh? Sure, but what for?"

"I have to tie my hair. Here."

Matsushita walked towards Ibuki, who had held out both arms to take the bag. Before she could react, Matsushita basically threw the duffel onto her.

"Hey woah! What's the big idea!?"

"Sorry, I guess I tripped on a branch."

While Ibuki was trying to reassess her footing, I crept up behind her, aimed an attack on her neck, then performed a carotid punch.