Volume 5: Those With Conviction

Toma Hisoka POV

With the conclusion of the hurdle race, the gender based team events were about to begin. As the girls were going to do their own events, we were also going to  have our own. We boys would do capture the flag, then tug-of-war.

Before we separated with the girls, I had to say something to Nao first. 

"Nao, how have you been fairing?" 

"Hm? Oh, I'm doing great! I don't remember the last time I felt so energetic!"

"That didn't really sound good. She must be on an adrenaline rush right now, so her overall energy might be low. 

"Just don't overdo it. I heard you're the rider for your cavalry group, so try what you can, but try not to fall."

"Will do. Bye bye for now onii-chan!"

She enthusiastically went toward the ball toss area. Honestly, watching her now makes me feel like I was watching her when she was merely four years old. It's so nostalgic that it almost feels suffocating, because we'll never be like that ever again. 

We were too aware now to continue being naivete. 

"All right. We're definitely winning this one, guys. Since that moron Kouenji ain't here, we've gotta get that much more fired up!" Sudou shouted. 

As I walked toward the team, Sudou was trying to encourage the Class A and D boys, in his own method. Our group was facing off against Katsuragi's Class B and Ryuuen's Class C. Looking at it from the best possible angle, winning almost seemed impossible, almost. 

In earlier discussions, we had agreed that Class B would defend during every round. It's better if we did that because our group would have a better chance at attacking, whether Class B or C defended. 

"Kanzaki, remember what we discussed." I shouted to him. 

"I hope this works." He said. 

"Oh it won't, but it can buy time." 

"The biggest problem will be Yamada-kun, so Class A would need to put at least four people on him." Hirata told him.

"Got it. Everyone! Double helix formation, just as discussed?"

Class B formed up around the flag, a circle on the flag itself, then a few extra students ranging out to create a mini double helix. The rest of the students that didn't fit the formation were scattered around near the flag. 

Looking at the enemy, Class B would be defending, and Class C was attacking, just as I expected. Knowing that Katsuragi will prioritize defending as a whole, Sudou, Hirata and I can try to topple the flag from one side while the rest of the attacking team can deal with other Class B defenders. 

"This is going to be tough." I said, getting myself ready.

"Well, don't worry. I'll beat our enemies to a pulp single-handed." Sudou said.

"Uh, but aren't you supposed to go after the flag?" Ayanokouji said.

"Can't make any promises. I'm all pissed off, thanks to Kouenji. Grr." Sudou growled.

He flipped the other team off, not even trying to hide his hostility.

"Better keep my distance." Ike muttered.

It was forbidden for an attacking team to come into contact with the other side's attacking team. The rules stated that the offense had to focus as much as possible on capturing the flag. That meant Ryuuen couldn't do anything to us while we try to topple their pole.