Volume 6: Respite

Real talk, I admire him, that's why I love provoking him and making him my enemy. Other than him, there's now this mastermind in his class that I want to hunt down. Crushing the both of them is going to be very satisfying. Class A can wait, I have a rivalry to settle.  -ImNoMasochist

Leave him alone, and take your pity with you. Out of respect, I will protect him from the likes of you. And I have four other people right behind me. He's already had enough.  -FourEyes

He himself is the problem, at least I believe so. Of course he's incapable of grasping everything, because he's thinking about the people around him, not himself. A person that things so lowly of themselves to the point that they think they're irrelevant in the eyes of the public, one would learn something from such a person, no matter what.  -Lilac

Ayanokouji POV

During the next day, I opened my door to see who was knocking at such a late hour. I was only brewing myself a cup of tea then planned on going to bed early since I had nothing else to do for the day.

Upon opening the door, I was greeted by Toma Hisoka, who had a few bags with him.

"What's up?" I asked him.

"The ceiling and the roof." He replied.

There was an awkward silence between us. 

"Anyway, can I come in?" 

"Sure." 

He went inside and I closed the door. Toma-kun was setting down the numerous paper bags on the empty dining table and sighed. 

"We got together to get you some things."

"What?"

He turned around, throwing a small box at me, to which I caught with my left hand. 

"All of these are for you. Come on, open them."

Ah, so he checked my student profile and saw my date of birth. From what I've read, it is a custom to give gifts or to celebrate the birthday of someone, but I didn't think of it as a special day. 

I opened the small box that he threw at me and found a Rubik's cube inside. It was a standard issue, just a normal Rubik's cube like any other, meant to be a brain teaser for anyone idling around. 

"What's all this about?" I asked, trying to be oblivious. 

"You can't trick me, that's why I insisted everyone that I'm the only one who should show up. I took the liberty of contacting the few people that actually cared for you and they gave you all these as presents." He replied, grabbing one of the paper bags and handing it to me. 

"Thanks, I guess."

"You've never celebrated before, haven't you?"

"...How could you tell?"

"Because we don't either. When Shizuko decided to give me a gift on my 12th birthday, I had the same reaction as you. Don't worry, it can be considered normal for some kids." 

"Fair enough, I suppose." 

I walked up to the table and opened the paper bag from there. It contained a beautifully made white coat, with black edges and scarlet red, gold or cyan designs all over. In short, it was well crafted with an image in mind. 

"This looks pretty good." I commented. 

"It should, that costed me around thirty thousand on it's own. No, you don't have to repay me or anyone else, it's your birthday after all." Toma-kun replied.